We have devised Open Skipton, a project funded by the Department for Transport to promote sustainable transport.
We were awarded just under £1 million to help people make informed travel choices for the journeys they make. Read the bid document here.
What are we doing?
We are working with schools, businesses and residents – particularly in new developments – to increase awareness of the different, more sustainable modes of transport available. This includes walking, cycling, public transport and car sharing.
Making little changes to the travel choices we make can make a big difference to our health, time and money. Opting for sustainable modes will also help to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution helping to create cleaner, safer and healthier towns.
Find out how businesses, employees, educational and residential establishments can benefit below.
Are you a business in Skipton town and keen to support staff wellbeing, reduce absenteeism and create a healthy workforce?
We can offer you a whole range of free support and initiatives to encourage staff to walk, cycle and car share more on their commute or within the working day. We can provide personalised journey plans for staff and create a Business Action Plan for your business.
Get involved in Open Skipton at no cost. Some benefits are listed below:
- Employees who are more active are more likely to be productive at work
- A healthier workforce and reduced absenteeism
- Free up car parking spaces for customers and visitors – one car is the equivalent to ten bicycle spaces
- Improved corporate image – encouraging active travel reduces environmental impact and shows your commitment to the local community and the environment
- It can also help you in working towards your Corporate Social Responsibility targets
Employees can benefit from:
- more reliable journey times;
- cost savings;
- improved mood, lowered stress and increased levels of concentration;
- increased cardiovascular fitness;
- improved joint mobility; and
- better mental health.
The school run can be a great time to get some gentle exercise, explore your local surroundings and help reduce congestion. It will also help with your physical and mental wellbeing, with teachers noting that students who walk or cycle to school are more relaxed and alert.
We can work with secondary schools and colleges to encourage staff and students to travel actively on the school run and the project can offer a range of free support and initiatives. These include:
- cycle training for staff and students;
- assemblies and attendance at events eg: transition days, Open Days, parents’ evening;
- journey planning and provision of bespoke travel maps
- active travel challenges and competitions; and
- access to Modeshift STARS, the national awards scheme that recognises schools that have shown excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel.
Moving to a new place or home can be a time of great change but also one of great opportunity.
Through door-to-door engagement we will support residents for the journeys they wish to make by providing information, maps and a bespoke Sustainable Travel Information Pack so that each resident can make informed travel choices.
With personalised journey plans, free cycle training, and other initiatives, we will help residents explore the area around them through sustainable travel.
Walking and cycling
Skipton, as well as the Yorkshire Dales National Park, is a great place to explore the outdoors.
For more information on local walking routes please visit:
For more information on local cycling routes please visit:
For details of nearby rail services please visit Northern Rail.
For more information about bus travel in your area please visit: