Pedestrian crossings

Pedestrian crossings improve safety for pedestrians when crossing a road. Find out how to report a problem with a crossing or request a new one.

Pedestrian crossings improve safety for pedestrians when crossing a road.

They can also help with traffic calming on roads where vehicle speeds are high.

They take several forms:

  • Dropped crossings
    These are provided generally at junctions to help pedestrians with restricted mobility and wheelchair and pushchair users cross the road. They are always provided in conjunction with other features.
  • Pedestrian refuges
    These are used when the volume of vehicles using a road is high and it is difficult for pedestrians to cross the road. They enable pedestrians to cross one lane of the road and wait safely before crossing the next.
  • Zebra crossings
    Drivers must stop if a pedestrian is starting to cross or is on the crossing.
  • Puffin and toucan crossings
    Puffin crossing signals are similar to the signals used to control traffic movements at junctions. Both pedestrians and drivers are controlled by the signals. They have an audible alarm to advise pedestrians with impaired vision when it is safe to cross.

Further information

Formal requests should be made to the area traffic manager in the area you live. A pedestrian and vehicle count will then be undertaken to determine the level of demand. If the demand meets the criteria, a bid will be submitted for inclusion in the reserve list for minor capital schemes. The request will be assessed against others for a priority rating to be decided. Proposals with the highest priority will be implemented first within budget restraints.

If the issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, it is classed as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online forms. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm. Dial 999 outside office hours for our emergency service.

You can tell us about an issue with a pedestrian crossing by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

Log in and report a highway issue

If you prefer, you can tell us about a highway issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

Rate this page