If you acquire, possess or use certain non-medicinal poisons you must hold a licence from the Home Office.

Following the implementation of the Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations 2015, trading standards services no longer have any legal duties in relation to the sale of poisons under the Poisons Act 1972.

This means that you will no longer have to register with us in order to sell certain poisons.

Instead, members of the public will require a licence from the Home Office in order to acquire, possess and use certain poisons. Suppliers will only be able to supply poisons to people who hold a licence.

To apply for a licence, or for more information, please visit the Home Office apply for an explosives precursors and poisons (EPP) licence page. Guidance documents can also be found at GOV.UK - hazardous sites and substances.

Contact us

If you require any clarification on this, please contact us or email business.advice@northyorks.gov.uk.