We want to hear your views on a proposal to make the temporary satellite specialist sixth form provision for Springhead School on the former Graham Lower School site in Scarborough permanent from 1 September 2020.
The current position
In May 2017, Springhead School, in partnership with ourselves, spoke with parents, staff and the wider community about temporarily moving the sixth form provision onto the recently vacated Graham Lower School Site. Following a period of consultation, the Governing Body of Springhead School decided to approve this proposal. The decision was put in place in September 2017. It was explained that this decision would be reviewed within three years.
The Springhead School Sixth Form provision has now been operating from the site at Lady Edith’s Drive for more than two years. The establishment of the Sixth Form provision at Lady Edith’s Drive has been overwhelmingly positive and has resulted in the following benefits:
- Improved facilities for all pupils across a dual-site school. The school’s philosophy, ethos, expertise and values are shared.
- An increased ability to offer an appropriate environment for learning, in all its forms, for all pupils.
- Provided an opportunity to upgrade provision on the Barry’s Lane site, and re-establish some specialist areas within school.
- Given those pupils who need it space and quiet during the school day.
- Improved the working environment, which has impacted positively on the self-esteem and well-being of all pupils and staff.
- Improved the transport issues on Barry’s Lane at the beginning and end of the day.
- Given the Y11 pupils the chance to ‘step up’ and develop their responsibilities, as they have become the oldest on the Barry’s Lane site.
- Brought all primary children together onto the same site at Springhead School, and all Sixth Form students together onto the same site.
- The new site has provided opportunities for dedicated space for therapeutic interventions from health and professionals.
- Enhanced the exciting and innovative curriculum provision that meets pupils' needs and supports them in achieving their full potential.
- Provided classroom space for both pupils remaining at Springhead School and those pupils moving to the proposed new site.
- Relocation of post 16 provision onto the new site has improved capacity across the existing site and the Sixth Form provision on the Lower Graham School site. The new site has enabled young people to undertake a wider curriculum, strengthening preparation for adulthood and access to nearby facilities, such as Cherry Tree Lodge.
Along with the school, we are now looking to formally adopt these arrangements and would like to hear interested parties' views on the proposal.
What Happens Next?
You can either complete and return a response sheet (pdf / 715 KB) or submit an online response. In addition, there will be a drop in session at the Springhead Sixth Form site on 4 February. Representatives from Springhead School and ourselves will be available between 2pm and 5pm to discuss the proposal.
Paper responses should be returned to: Freepost, RTKE-RKAY-CUJS, Springhead School Strategic Planning, North Yorkshire County Council County Hall, Northallerton DL7 8AE.
The closing date for responses is 6 March 2020. All responses to the consultation received by this date will be considered by our Executive on 24 March. If the Executive decides to proceed with the proposal, then statutory notices would be published in the local press on 20 April 2020. These notices provide a further four weeks for representations to be made. A final decision would then be made by the Executive on 9 June. If agreed, the decision would be formally implemented from September 1 2020.
Anticipated Key Dates
All dates are subject to approvals at each stage.
|Consultation opens||24 January 2020|
|Community Engagement Drop in Session||4 February 2020|
|Consultation closes||6 March 2020|
|County Council’s Executive considers consultation response||24 March 2020|
|Statutory Notices published (4 weeks for representations to be made)||20 April 2020|
|Final decision by County Council’s Executive||9 June 2020|
|Formal Establishment of specialist satellite provision||1 September 2020|
A copy of the consultation document (pdf / 715 KB) is available to download.