Information about home improvement agencies and handypersons that can help you to live independently, safely and comfortably at home.
Home improvement agencies and handypersons can provide services for older people, people with disabilities or anyone who feels vulnerable at home, including families with young children.
We work in partnership with district and borough councils and others to offer the following home improvement agency services in North Yorkshire:
Many small jobs and basic maintenance can be carried out by a handyperson:
- Odd jobs - such as replacing light bulbs, securing loose carpet or putting up shelves or flat-pack furniture;
- Adaptations - providing and fitting grab rails and external hand rails or larger scale adaptations, such as building a step to improve accessibility; and
- Security - fitting window locks, security chains, doorbells and door bolts. We also supply and install key safes or replacement door locks.
Larger work or extensions
We provide a technical service to support people making use of disabled facilities grants. This includes drawing plans; submitting planning and building regulation applications; obtaining quotes; overseeing work; and ensuring work is completed to the required standard. We can carry out the work or project manage the contractors you choose.
Help and advice
Home improvement agencies work with us to provide:
- Support to prevent accidents at home;
- Help with accessing benefits or grants to fund work;
- Energy efficiency advice; and
- Free access to our 'safe traders' list of approved contractors, helping you to avoid rogue traders.
Whether you own or rent your home, you may qualify for funding for some or all of the work.
Contact your local home improvement agency
Improvements for homes in the Craven, Hambleton, Richmondshire, Harrogate and Selby areas are the responsibility of the Yorkshire Housing home improvement team.
Improvements for homes in the Scarborough and Ryedale areas are the responsibility of the White Rose Home Improvement Agency.