Care homes for personal care, sometimes known as residential homes, are for people who need 24-hour support.

Residents have their own room, sometimes with an en-suite bathroom, and usually with access to other shared facilities.

These homes will help you with any assessed personal care needs (such as getting up and going to bed, dressing, washing and using the toilet) as necessary and they will supervise or administer medication. They provide all meals and most will offer some social activities.

They can normally provide care during short illnesses but they do not provide long-term nursing care (there are specialist care homes with nursing that can provide this level of support). There will also be someone on call at night.

Contact us for a list of local residential care homes and to discuss your options. If we can help you, your needs will have to be assessed so we can provide the right type of care and support. You can also search for homes using the Elderly Accommodation Council website and we maintain our own approved list of care homes and care homes with nursing. You can check homes' inspection reports on the Care Quality Commission website.

Social care to suit your needs

You should look at the different types of social care housing available before you decide what would best suit your needs.

Alternatively, you could remain in your own home but with social care support to help you continue to live independently.

Charges you may have to pay in social care housing

You will have to pay for some social housing costs and care services but others may be free or at a reduced level, depending on your financial circumstances.

The amount you have to pay is determined through a financial assessment. Information and advice is available to help you plan for the cost of your social care.

Rate this page