The responsible retailer award recognises those organisations that meet legal and social obligations associated with the sale of age-restricted products.
The award is aimed at local retailers of alcohol, tobacco and other age-restricted products such as e-cigarettes, knives and energy drinks.
It’s a free award which aims to introduce best practice on issues such as:
- underage sales training and age verification processes;
- acceptable forms of ID and the use of refusals registers;
- preventing ‘proxy’ sales (over 18's buying on behalf of under 18's);
- compliance with the Tobacco Directive;
- ensuring compliance with the Licensing Act 2003; and
- preventing illicit tobacco from entering our communities.
Registering your interest
To register your interest please contact David Miller on 01609 534810.
Receiving the award
Once you register, trading standards officers will visit you to assess your current processes and to advise as to how they might be improved. Once this guidance has been put in place you will receive the responsible retailer award and your achievement will be publicised.
Upon receiving the award, you will be given a certificate and sticker to display at your premises:
The award lasts for one year at which point you will be re-assessed.
Responsible retailer award holders
The following businesses have been given the responsible retailer award:
|Gurkha’s Corner||3 Broadway, Catterick Garrison DL9 4RF|
|Colburn New Store||71 Colburn Lane, Catterick Garrison DL9 4NJ|
|Cross Lane Stores||2 Cross Lanes, Richmond DL10 5BL|