Find out about the help available with development, learning, behaviour and childcare for children in the early years.

If your child has a special educational need (SEN), disability or additional needs, lots of help and support is available to you. You can find more information here about the different definitions of special educational need, and what to do if you think your child may have SEND.

A range of specialist support and provision services such as educational psychologists and early years advisory teachers work in partnership with schools and other settings to promote inclusion, achievement and to secure better outcomes for children and young people with SEND across North Yorkshire.

Disabled children's services provide specialist social work teams who work with children who have substantial and permanent disabilities. Support can be accessed by self-referring or by being referred by professionals working with families who believe they would benefit from an assessment or services.

As part of early years provision, portage home visitors provide support service to families of children aged up to five with SEND in the family's own home.

Our children's centres offer a range of support for families with children and young people up to the age of 19.

See the SEND education section for more information about the services available to children of different ages.

Further information

The family information service is the first point of contact for early years, offering advice, information and signposting to the full range of council services. See our early education and childcare pages or contact the families information service for more information:

Families Information Service


Telephone: 01609 533483