Sheltered, retirement or warden-assisted housing are all terms used to describe accommodation provided specifically for older people.

Schemes usually have the services of a warden, support worker or scheme manager, though increasingly this person lives off site, or the service is provided as 'floating support', with regular visits from a member of staff.

Each property has an alarm system so that residents can summon help in an emergency.

Contact us to discuss your housing options. If we can help you, your needs will have to be assessed so we can provide the right type of care and support. You can also search for homes using the Elderly Accommodation Council website and we maintain our own approved list of care homes and care homes with nursing. You can check homes' inspection reports on the Care Quality Commission website.

Social care to suit your needs

You should look at the different types of social care housing available before you decide what would best suit your needs.

Alternatively, you could remain in your own home but with social care support to help you continue to live independently.

Charges you may have to pay in social care housing

You will have to pay for some social housing costs and care services but others may be free or at a reduced level, depending on your financial circumstances.

The amount you have to pay is determined through a financial assessment. Information and advice is available to help you plan for the cost of your social care.

Rate this page