There are charges for disposing of hardcore, rubble, plasterboard and tyres at our household waste recycling centres.

Charges for disposing of hardcore, rubble and plasterboard

Waste created from improvements, repairs and alterations to your home or domestic property is not household waste and we have no legal duty to accept it.

Most of this type of waste is hardcore and rubble, including breeze blocks, bricks, ceramics including sinks and toilets, concrete, fire surrounds, flag stones, gravel, hardcore, kitchen worktops, pottery, rubble, sand, slates, soil, stones, tarmac, tiles, window glass or plasterboard.

There are no restrictions on the amount of hardcore and rubble you can bring onto site.

The charges for disposal of hardcore, rubble and plasterboard are per standard hardcore and rubble bag. A sample of the standard bag is available at the sites.

Volume Hardcore / rubble Plasterboard
Standard hardcore and rubble bag £2.60 £2.50

This applies to residents and charities only. Commercial customers will be charged for all of the waste types below.

Waste type Derivatives Chargeable
Ash Aga / fire No
Breeze blocks   Yes
Bricks   Yes
Ceramics Baths Yes
  Bidet Yes
  Plates - cooking pots, dishes etc No
  Shower tray Yes
  Sink / pedestal Yes
  Tiles Yes
  Toilet Yes
Concrete   Yes
  Ornaments No
Flagstones Paving slabs Yes
Glass Fish / reptile tank No
  Furniture - shelving; table top No
  Greenhouse glass Yes
  Kitchenware including Pyrex No
  Mirror No
  Plate - window Yes
  Shower screen Yes
  Tiles Yes
Gravel   Yes
  Fish tank / litter tray No
Hardcore   Yes
Plasterboard Plaster / gypsum and similar materials Yes
Pottery Cups No
  Drainage pipes Yes
  Plant pots No
  Plates No
Rubble   Yes
Sand Play pit No
  Sandbags No
  Sharp Yes
Slates   Yes
Soil   Yes
  Gardening / grow bags / planters No
Stones   Yes
  De-stoning flower beds and borders No
Tarmac   Yes
Tiles Floor / roof / wall Yes
Turf Whole lawn / 'substantial' volume Yes
  Edging No

Charges for disposing of tyres

We charge for the disposal of tyres as they are not classed as household waste.

Tyres should be placed in the designated area which will be marked with a sign. This is so they can be recycled. If any tyres are mistakenly placed in the landfill or any other container a charge will still be made.

Band Description Price (each)
A Standard tyre (car / motorcycle / 4x4) - off rim £1.70
Standard tyre (car / motorcycle / 4x4) - on rim £1.70
C Truck - off rim £9
D Truck - on rim £11
E Agricultural - off rim £15
F Agricultural - on rim £20
G Solid £11

This applies to residents and charities only. Commercial customers will be charged for all of the waste types below.

Tyre type Household waste (non-chargeable) Non-household (chargeable)
Car   Yes
Bicycle Yes  
4x4 vehicle   Yes
Motorcycle   Yes
Van   Yes
Wheelbarrow Yes  
Go-kart (motorised)   Yes
Caravan   Yes
Mobility scooter Yes  
Trailer   Yes
Children's toys Yes  
Pram/pushchair Yes  
Shopping trolley Yes  
Golf trolley Yes  
Wheelchair Yes  
Lawnmower Yes  
Truck   Yes
Agricultural   Yes
Earth mover   Yes

How to pay for the disposal of this type of waste

On arrival you will need to agree, with a member of staff, the volume of hardcore, rubble and plasterboard or tyres you have. This will set how much you have to pay. Do not empty your car until payment has been made. Only credit or debit cards payments are accepted. No cash or cheques will be accepted.

Frequently asked questions

The charging applies to hardcore and rubble wastes (including breeze blocks, bricks, ceramics (e.g. sinks and toilets), concrete, fire surrounds, flag stones, gravel, hardcore, kitchen worktops, pottery, rubble, sand, slates, soil, stones, tarmac, tiles, window glass etc.), plasterboard and tyres.

If you dispose of hardcore, rubble, plasterboard and / or tyres at the same time as other waste from your home (household waste) you will only be charged for the part that is hardcore, rubble, plasterboard and/or tyres.

All payments must be made via debit or credit card. No cash or cheques will be accepted.

Yes. Householders, businesses and charities all have to pay to dispose of these items.

Charities and businesses must be registered as a waste carrier and get a waste carriers licence. You must show your licence to the site staff on arrival and complete the paperwork. This is a legal requirement. For more information visit Failure to provide a copy of the waste carriers licence will result in you being turned away.

Householders do not need to register and will have no paperwork to complete.

If you are unable to pay (for example you have left your debit / credit card at home), you can either phone a family member or friend so they can make the payment for you over the phone, or you will be asked to leave the site and return later with a means of payment. You will not be allowed to dispose of any chargeable materials unless you can pay. You will be allowed to dispose of any household waste free of charge.

If you don't want to pay you will be unable to dispose of your waste at the HWRC. You will need to use another option such as hiring a skip or taking the waste to a private waste management company.

No, everyone has to pay the charges. The costs have been kept to a minimum.

No. Site staff will have a pictorial guide and this will help them assess each load of chargeable waste. They have received full training to help them do this.

You should deliver your waste in something that you can lift to the opening of the appropriate container and empty your waste from. Please do not shovel waste into any container.

If you have more than one load you will have to pay each visit.

By leaving the waste outside the site you are fly tipping. This is against the law and can carry a fine of up to £50,000. Most sites have CCTV and site staff are instructed to gather evidence of anyone fly tipping for possible prosecution.

No, the charging only applies to hardcore, rubble and plasterboard.

Edging would be defined as the tidying up of the borders of your lawn to maintain its usual appearance. This waste is free of charge. If you were to dig up your lawn for example to construct a patio, build a pond or undertake landscaping which generates soils, this would be charged for.

If you had a pane of glass from a picture frame this would not be charged for. However, a pane of glass from a window, including greenhouse glass, would be chargeable. This is because the window pane is part of the fabric of the house and therefore classed as construction and demolition waste, not household waste.

Rate this page