As corporate parents we are responsible for ensuring that looked after children and care leavers get the best possible opportunities in life.
‘We care because you matter’ is our strategy for looked after children and young people, and those leaving care.
The strategy sets out our ambitions for children and young people who are looked after by us, the local authority, as their corporate parents. It has been shaped by the views of young people in care, their carers and professionals.
The strategy covers:
- our promise to young people in care;
- our corporate parenting responsibilities and how we will work with partners to deliver the seven corporate parenting principles;
- the outcomes we want to achieve for all children and young people in care; and
- progress and performance.
The corporate parenting principles
- To act in the best interest, and promote the physical and mental health and wellbeing, of those children and young people.
- To encourage those children and young people to express their views, wishes and feelings.
- To take into account the views, wishes and feelings of those children and young people.
- To help those children and young people gain access to, and make the best use of, services provided by the local authority and its relevant partners.
- To promote high aspirations, and seek to secure the best outcomes, for those children and young people.
- For those children and young people to be safe, and for stability in their home lives, relationships, and education or work.
- To prepare those children and young people for adulthood and independent living.
This strategy provides the foundation for our aspirations for the young people in our care – we will encourage our children and young people to achieve the best they can and continually celebrate their achievements.