The main role of a foster carer is to provide a safe, secure and happy home for a child who needs it.
There are some key responsibilities as well.
As a foster carer you will need to:
- Make sure the child has a healthy lifestyle, attends school and receives any educational or medical support they need;
- Establish a routine and set boundaries for behaviour;
- Enable the child to maintain contact with their family;
- Help the child build healthy relationships with others;
- Speak up on the child's behalf to make sure they receive the care and support they are entitled to;
- Work as part of a team with other care professionals; and
- Keep written records about the child.