This project was identified by the Whitby Town Investment Plan and has been granted £2.3 million of funding though the government’s Towns Fund.
Its purpose is to improve the public realm in and around the swing bridge, improving the experience for both residents and visitors. It will also improve non-motorised links between the east and the west of the town, supporting other Whitby Town investment plan projects.
This consultation aims to explore people’s views on how the scheme could look. No changes are currently proposed to on-street parking, on-street loading or when the swing bridge will be closed to traffic. There will be a separate consultation in the future looking at this.
All responses will be presented to a meeting of the corporate director for environment in consultation with the executive member for highways and transportation, where a decision will be taken on how the scheme proceeds. Once approved, it would start in late 2024/early 2025 with a scheduled completion by spring 2025.
Exhibitions will be held at Whitby Leisure Centre with project officers on hand to answer any questions. The dates and times are as follows:
- Tuesday, 5 December, from 1pm to 7pm
- Tuesday, 12 December, from 1pm to 7pm
We are asking for your views on six separate public areas:
- Zone 1: New Quay Road at the junction with Langborne Road and Station Square
- Zone 2: West of the swing bridge
- Zone 3: Swing bridge north east corner
- Zone 4: Church Street at the junction with Bridge Street
- Zone 5: Tin Ghaut, the former car park adjacent to Grape Lane
- Zone 6: A171 New Bridge/Spital Bridge junction
The consultation will close on Friday 22 December 2023.