Wherever you are thinking of getting married or forming a civil partnership, we can guide you through the process.

Coronavirus (Covid-19) update

Following the Government announcement on 23rd June 2020, we are pleased to announce that ceremonies have resumed from 4th July 2020. However, due to the need to observe social distancing, there will be changes to how ceremonies are undertaken.

For office ceremonies please read our guidance particularly on the number of guests you may have.

For venue ceremonies, please contact the venue and ensure they will be open on the day of the ceremony and check any revised rules they may have, including the number of guests permitted.

Please be advised that all our advice may be subject to change without notice.

One of the first things you will need to decide is where you want to celebrate your ceremony.

Approved venues

North Yorkshire has a wonderfully diverse choice of venues, including town centre hotels, castles and stately homes, coastal venues, rural farms and more. You're certain to find something to suit you. Take a look at all of our approved venues.

Outdoors at an approved venue - We regret these are now suspended from 14 September due to the limit of 6 persons in a social gathering

Many of our venues offer legal ceremonies outdoors, with the couple, their witnesses and the Registrars beneath a licensed structure (for example a gazebo) and your guests seated in the open air. In this instance, the whole of your ceremony can be conducted in one place, including the signing of the register.

Where there is no licensed structure, venues can offer couples the opportunity to have the celebratory ceremony in the grounds, for example on a lawn or within a walled garden, with the legal requirements following on within a licensed area. We call these outside ceremonies.

For outside ceremonies, the ceremony is in two parts. Family and friends can join with you to celebrate your vows, listen to readings and exchange rings in your chosen location, after which you and your witnesses head indoors to the licensed ceremony room to make your legal declaration and contract of marriage (marriages only) and to sign the register or the civil partnership schedule.

The venue must agree and also reserve an alternative ceremony room for you in case it needs to be conducted indoors. Your chosen venue and wedding coordinator will be able to offer advice and suggestions.

Ceremonies are only held outside in daylight hours between the months of April and October.

Registration office

We offer personalised ceremonies at all of our registration offices. Our enhanced ceremonies offer you the opportunity to add readings, personalise your promises to each other and more.

Religious Ceremonies

A religious wedding can take place at any registered religious building.

Same-sex couples can get married in a religious building if it has been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples. You cannot get married in an Anglican church as a same-sex couple.

Your marriage needs to be registered immediately after the ceremony by an authorized person, such as a religious minister.

Check with the venue if there is an authorized person. If not, and your church is within the registration district of North Yorkshire, you’ll need to book a registrar through our ceremonies team on 01609 780780.

Booking the registrar

Once you've decided on your North Yorkshire venue, you will need to book the registrar.

Please contact our team at ceremonies@northyorks.gov.uk or on 01609 780780. Let them know your chosen dates and venue and they will be happy to contact you with availability and prices or to take your booking.

Find out more about booking your ceremony.