SEND national news and consultations
The UK Government’s SEND and alternative provision green paper was published on 29 March 2022. It set out a vision for a single, national SEND and alternative provision (AP) system that will introduce new standards in the quality of support given to children across education, health and care.
The green paper is the result of the SEND Review, commissioned to improve the SEND system for parents, carers, children and young people.
Delivering Better Value in SEND programme comes to North Yorkshire
The Department for Education have developed a programme called Delivering Better Value in SEND to assist local authorities to manage the current challenges which local systems are experiencing in delivering special educational needs and disability services (SEND). The programme is supporting 55 local authorities and their local partners to improve the delivery of SEND services for children and young people whilst working towards financial sustainability.
More information can be found on the Delivering Better Value in SEND website.
New area SEND inspection framework published
Following consultation, the new area SEND inspection framework and handbook (on GOV.UK website) have been published by Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission. The new framework and handbook come into use from 2023 and will be used to inform judgements on North Yorkshire’s arrangements for children and young people with SEND. The new framework aims to strengthen accountability by:
- introducing an ongoing cycle of inspections with three inspection outcomes
- annual "engagement meetings" in all areas
- boosting the response where Ofsted has concerns via monitoring inspections and/or early re-inspections
- more transparency and improving services by asking local areas to update and publish "visible strategic SEND plans" within 30 working days after full inspections
- all strategic plans to be fully accessible to children and young people with SEND as well as parents and carers
- a focus on how alternative provision is commissioned and overseen
- an update to the inspection team to be more multidisciplinary, involving health, education and social care inspectors
North Yorkshire News and Consultations
Please follow the links below for information relating to the latest news and consultations:
Events and activities
Family grab packs
These grab packs are for parents and carers, children or young people to help them work through particular topics. Many also have a therapeutic content to them and they have been written by Educational Psychologists working with primary mental health workers and wellbeing facilitators.
If you have a login, you can access them from the North Yorkshire Children and Young People's Service website.
Have you ever attended FUSE – the drama workshops for young people with learning disabilities?
Pickering, Starbeck, Skipton and Tadcaster groups are now taking place virtually each week, with Scarborough hoping to recommence soon.
To re-join, please contact email@example.com.
If you have not attended before, but would like to join, please email Eve with a little bit about yourself and where you are based. We will work then work with the relevant group to see if there is capacity for you to join.