Complain to the Information Commissioner

You can complain to the information commissioner if you have problems accessing information stored about your child.

You can complain to the Information Commissioner if you have problems accessing school records, minutes of governors’ meetings, school policies or other public documents, or if you believe your child's or young person's records have been disclosed unlawfully, are incorrect or out of date.

You should first use the school or council complaints procedure. There are different timescales for schools to reply to your requests.

Timescales for requests

Freedom of information and data protection complaints can be reported via the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) report a concern page.