Copies can be made of most of the documents we hold and the fees for this are shown on this page.
However, factors such as the condition of the original item or restrictions on copyright mean that we are not able to provide copies of some documents.
Single copies are provided on the understanding that they are for personal use only. If copies are to be reproduced or published in any form permission should be applied for in writing and a fee may apply.
Printouts from microfilm or microfiche
Four self-service reader / printer machines are available in the search room for making A4 printout copies of records on microfilm. Copies are £1.05 each for an A4 sheet and £1.60 for an A3 sheet.
Alternatively, copies can be made to order by staff. The following charges apply for this:
- handling charge per hour - £13.80
- minimum handling charge - £6.90
- A4 sheet - £1.05
- A3 sheet - £1.60
Charges apply as for microfilm printouts. Photocopies will not normally be made of original records.
Colour scanning (excluding maps and plans)
- scanning (up to A0 size) - £5.30 per scan
- A4 colour laser print - £2.70
- A3 colour laser print - £3.30
- A2 colour inkjet print - £13.25
- A1 colour inkjet print - £23.85
- A0 colour inkjet print - £42.40
- electronic copy - £15.90
Maps and plans (per map)
- A4 print - £8
- A3 print - £8.60
- A2 print - £18.55
- A1 print - £29.15
- A0 print - £47.70
- electronic copy £15.90
Registry of deeds
- price per registered document - £85
- 16mm diazo negative per reel or part thereof - £100
- 35mm diazo negative per reel or part thereof - £100
Personal copying permit
Allows use of allows use of own photographic equipment and use of searchroom microfilm scanners) – (Excludes NRRD, original parish registers & parish register transcripts).
- per scan / digital image taken - £1.05
- per half hour - £6.90
- per day or part thereof - £21.20
- per week, or part thereof (two to five days) - £47.70
- A3 printout from microfilm - £1.60
- A4 printout from microfilm - £1.05
- USB memory stick (8GB) - £6.90
(excludes North Riding Registry of Deeds, original parish registers and parish register transcripts)
- certified copy - £21 (flat rate), plus the cost of a copy
- certified typescript - £40 (supplied only when it is not possible to produce a copy by other means)
Parish register transcripts
We do not produce photocopies from the parish register transcripts produced by this office. Where computer indexes have been completed, printouts for a single surname are available. Printed copies can be made from these indexes for the following fees:
- all entries for one surname for one parish - £50
- all entries for one surname for any one consolidated group of parishes - £100
Copies of complete indexes or registers are not available to buy.
Searches in parish registers which have not yet been transcribed and indexed can be made in accordance with our usual search fees.
UK postage and packing
Postage and packing costs by the county record office are as follows:
- up to 18 x A4 sheets - £1.10
- between 19 and 40 x A4 sheets - £1.45
- up to 9 x A3 sheets - £1.10
- between 10 and 20 x A3 sheets - £1.45
- for a CD or DVD - £1.10
- small postal tube (A4 & A3) - £4.70 (tube only, without postage - £1.45)
- medium postal tube (A2) - £4.95 (tube only, without postage - £1.70)
- large postal tube (A1 & A0) - £5.05 (tube only, without postage - £1.80)
Please contact the record office for overseas postage costs or to discuss any aspect of these fees.
Commercial reproduction fees
An additional fee of £130 per item is chargeable for commercial purposes such as publication in books. Additional charges may apply and permission should be applied for in writing.