The North Yorkshire Rotters are a group of volunteers managed by ourselves who inspire people to change their waste habits.
The North Yorkshire Rotters, known as the Rotters, promote home composting, reduce, reuse and recycling and the 'love food hate waste' campaigns at events, talks and school workshops across North Yorkshire. These campaigns are promoted to highlight the practical ways that residents can reduce waste, save money and help the environment.
To help tackle these issues and to inspire people to change their waste habits, we coordinate a series of free talks and activities across North Yorkshire supported by the Rotters.
The Rotters can attend schools, groups and meetings to deliver free talks about the campaigns we promote. Please contact us to arrange a time and date, if your school club or group would like one of our Rotters to speak to your organisation about one or more of the following:
- Home composting;
- Love Food Hate Waste campaign; or,
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
The Rotters can provide free workshops at schools and after school clubs and groups. Please contact us to arrange a time and date, if your school, club or group would like our Rotter to provide workshops including:
- Smoothie making bike (food waste);
- Wormery making (make a mini home composter); or,
- Recycling bean bag game (Reuse, Recycle, Compost or bin it?).
The Rotters can attend events during the week and weekends (including evenings) in North Yorkshire with an information stand and gazebo to promote the campaigns.
If you would like to book the Rotters to attend your event free of charge please contact us to arrange a date and time.
- Wednesday 25 January - Promotional Stall at Scarborough Library, Vernon Road Scarborough, YO11 2NN - 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Monday 13 February - Workshops at Eastfield community library - More Than Books, High Street, Eastfield, Scarborough, YO11 3LL - 10.30am to 12.30pm
- Monday 13 February - Workshops at Filey library, Station Avenue, Filey, YO14 9AH - 11am to 1pm
- Tuesday 14 February - Workshops at Starbeck library, 68A High Street, Starbeck, Harrogate, HG2 7LW - 10am to midday
- Tuesday 14 February - Workshops at Harrogate library, Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, HG1 1EG - 1.30pm to 3.30pm
- Monday 6 March - Nigel Browns Love Food Hate Waste Cookery demonstrations at Selby Market Place, YO8 4PA - 8.30am to 3pm
- Wednesday 1 March 2023 - Knaresborough Market Event - Knaresborough Market Place - 9am to 2pm
- Wednesday 8 March 2023 - Knaresborough Market with Nigel Brown's love food hate waste cookery demonstration - Knaresborough Market Place - 9am to 2pm
- Friday 10 March 2023 - Stokesley Market - Stokesley Market - 9am to 2pm
If you are passionate about environmental issues, volunteering with the Rotters is a great way to get involved with your community by raising awareness of the importance of home composting, promoting the Love Food Hate Waste campaign and encouraging people to reduce, reuse and recycle. Many members of the team volunteer elsewhere and a third combine being a Rotter with paid employment. Find out more about volunteering with the Rotters.
“The Team pitched the sessions really well for the age group” – Brougham Nursery School, June 2019
“The session was truly inspiring, made us all think about what we can all do individually and the power of collective action. The children were totally captivated” – Cowling Community Primary School, October 2019
“A huge thank you to Jeff and Martin for visiting us and giving us lots of ‘food for thought’” - Applegarth Primary School, September 2019
“I would just like say a massive thank you from Church Fenton Cubs. You are very well practiced at what you do, and you kept the cubs entertained all evening, they all listened well & did whatever you asked!” – Church Fenton Cubs, February 2019
“Just to say a massive thank you for delivering the sessions last week for our Beavers” – 3rd Harrogate Scout Group, February 2019
“Thank you so much for your most interesting talk yesterday. Lots of our members were chatting about it afterwards and had really enjoyed the presentation - even if they found the statistics on food waste shocking. Food for thought indeed!” - Talk to a WI, April 2019
“The W.I ladies really enjoyed the evening and we will recommend the Rotters! We all learnt so much, and are acutely aware of our waste now!!” – Dallowgill W.I
We had a splendid evening and Ian was a particularly amenable and knowledgeable speaker. – “Cleveland Outlook Group”