Fletcher's Sauce Bottles
These sauce bottles were bought from Reg who owned the antique shop near St Marys. Fletchers was a Selby company, who made sauces. J.P Fletcher opened the factory in 1915, where their most famous sauces, Titbits and Tiger, were made until HP closed the line in 1994. Courtesy, Angela Robinson. Read more about Fletcher's Sauce Bottles.
Christie's Ballroom Plate
Christie's Ballroom was where everyone in Selby used to go dancing. There was a huge rollerblading rink with seats all around the edge. It is now Rivermills Ballroom. This plate was found at a Selby antique fair with many of my other finds. Courtesy, Angela Robinson. Read more about Christie's Ballroom Plate.
Roman Face Pot
This Roman head pot was found by archaeologists working on the Turnhead Farm site in Barlby. The pot represents Septimius Severus, Roman Emperor 193-211. The Imperial family resided in Britain from 208 until Severus’s death in 211 in York. Courtesy, MAP Archaeological Practice. Read more about Roman Face Pot.
Every Easter the Queen presents Maundy Money in recognition of people’s service to church and community. Selby Abbey was the first Parish Church to be honoured with this ceremony as part of the Selby 900 celebrations. Courtesy, John Cattanach. Read more about Maundy Money.
Selby Abbey Seal
This is a seal cast of the Benedictine Abbey of St Mary and St Germanus, Selby. It dates to 1282 and depicts St Germanus seated on a throne holding a pastoral staff and raising his right hand in benediction. Courtesy, Leeds Museums and Galleries. Read more about Selby Abbey Seal.
Selby Abbey Roof Boss
This roof boss was damaged in the Selby Abbey fire of 1906. It is one of the only surviving wooden objects from the fire, however, was too badly damaged to be repaired. It is now displayed in the south transept of the Abbey. Courtesy, Selby Abbey. Read more about Selby Abbey Roof Boss.
Selby Abbey Finial
This carved stone finial was found during archaeological excavations of Abbots Staith in November 2017. It’s thought that it was destined for Selby Abbey, but was discarded and not used, as it has some small damage, and also shows no sign of weathering from being outside. Read more about Selby Abbey Finial.
This historic book, owned by Selby Abbey, is The Herball, an illustrated book of plants and herbs. Originally by John Gerard, this edition was enlarged and amended by Thomas Johnson in 1633. Johnson was a botanist who was born in Selby. His most famous work was his revision of Gerard’s Herball, where he added over 800 new species and amended many entries. Read more about Herball Book.
£1 Banknote from Selby Bank
This banknote for one pound was issued by Selby Bank and signed by John Foster, the banker and local merchant, on 1st May 1815. Courtesy, Leeds Museums and Galleries. Read more about £1 Banknote from Selby Bank.