A licence is required by any person wishing to drive a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle. We must only grant a hackney carriage or private hire driver's licence to a person who is fit and proper and who has been authorised to drive a car for at least 12 months.
What will it cost?
- new licence (3 years) - £400
- new licence (1 year) - £320
- renewal of licence (3 years) - £265
- renewal of licence (1 year) - £235
How do I pay?
For all other areas, contact us to pay in person or over the phone, please note we do not accept cash payments.
Whichever payment method you use, please use your licence number, if renewing, and your full name as the reference and let us know you have paid.
How to apply
Fill in and return the correct application form:
- apply for a new taxi and private hire driver licence (docx / 108 KB) / apply for a new taxi and private hire driver licence (pdf / 217 KB)
- renew your taxi and private hire driver licence (docx / 102 KB) / renew your taxi and private hire driver licence (pdf / 203 KB)
- provide evidence of passing a written knowledge test delivered by us. Read our guidance on the knowledge test (pdf / 165 KB), or find out information on courses to improve your English language
Along with a complete application form, applicants must:
- pay the requisite fee as set out above
- produce their full driving licence issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
- provide a suitable digital photograph (taken or approved by a member of the licensing authority)
- provide documentation confirming their right to work in the UK
- provide an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service and subscribe to the DBS Update Service (if the licence has not been determined within four months of the issue date shown on the disclosure certificate, a further criminal record check must be obtained unless the applicant has subscribed to the Update Service)
- provide a certificate of good conduct (only if the applicant has lived overseas for a period of six months or more in the 10-year period leading up to the date of application)
- provide a certificate to confirm that the applicant has passed a practical driving assessment from a provider approved by us - these are:
- Practical Driving Assessment - Nippy Taxis Scarborough
- the Blue Lamp Trust
- Green Penny
- iAM RoadSmart
- Gray's Training
- diamond advanced motorists (a standard assessment is acceptable for most drivers but anyone wishing to drive wheelchair accessible vehicles must undergo a suitable enhanced/upgrade assessment)
- provide a medical assessment to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's Group 2 standards carried out no more than one month prior to the date of application - download our medical form (pdf / 4 MB)
- provide a certificate to confirm the applicant has undertaken appropriate a safeguarding training in the last three years from a provider approved by us. E-learning certificates for safeguarding are not deemed to be suitable. Only classroom style courses are acceptable. The providers we have approved are:
- provide a certificate to confirm the applicant has undertaken appropriate disability awareness training in the last three years from a provider approved by us. These are:
- complete a written knowledge test delivered by us - you will be provided further information on how to complete this once your application has been received
We provide information for the national register and carry out searches of NR3 in order to assess whether an individual is a fit and proper person to hold a hackney carriage or private hire driver licence.
You can find the following information on the Government website:
- Home Office guidance to obtaining overseas criminality information
- Group 2 Medical Standards information
Fees and fares
Report a licensing issue
Contact us to report a licensing issue.