This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why our children and young people’s service contracts team processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). Children and young people's service contracts team use data about you, collected from other services, in order to commission services for you.
We have appointed Veritau Ltd to be our data protection officer.
Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
In order to deliver our contract service we will need to collect both personal and special category data, for example:
Personal data collected:
- date of birth
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- name of foster carer(s) (if applicable)
- address of foster carer(s) (if applicable)
Special category data collected:
- ethnicity or race
- physical or mental health information
- sexual orientation
- criminal history
- any additional needs you may have
- social care support outcomes
Why do we collect your personal information?
We need to collect this information to carry out the following tasks:
- to commission services for you
- supporting children and monitoring their progress
- providing children with pastoral care
- service improvement and benchmarking
- maintain a contract register
Who do we share this information with?
In the course of performing our duties, we may share your information with a number of agencies who are key to delivering our service.
Within the council, we receive your information from teams within the children and young people’s service. We share information with the procurement team in order to help us get value for money.
Agencies we share information with:
- we may need to share your information with education and care placement providers in order for them to be able provide the service we have commissioned them for - these providers will also receive a specific contract to provide the service
How long do we keep your information?
The following table details the retention periods for records relating to the CYPS contracts service:
|Data held||Retention period|
|Contracts||Current year plus 6 at termination of contract.|
|Records relating to a child in care - 75 years from the date of birth of the child|
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
With regard to personal data:
- Article 6(1)(e) – public task (DPA Section 8 – Public interest or official authority)
With regard to special category data:
- Article 9(2)(h) – provision of health and social care
The legislations, policies and guidance that relate to this service include, but are not limited to:
- Children Act 1989
- Children Act 2004
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.