What is Healthy Start?
You may be eligible for the Healthy Start Scheme if you are more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child or children under the age of 4. Through the scheme you will get a pre-paid card which will be topped up with money every four weeks and can be used to buy:
- fresh or frozen fruit and vegetables (whole or chopped, packaged or loose - with no added ingredients)
- fresh, dried and tinned beans and pulses
- plain cow's milk (whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed)
- infant formula milk
Healthy Start pre-paid card
The pre-paid card can be used in any shop that sells healthy food and milk and accepts Mastercard. This includes:
- your local shop
- pharmacies or chemists
- petrol stations
The card cannot be used for online shopping or to request cashback. It is for in-store use only.
You can check your balance in any cash machine using the PIN provided with your card, like a normal bank card, or by calling Healthy Start on 0300 330 7010.
Healthy Start vitamins
You can also get free Healthy Start vitamins. There are two types of vitamins available:
- women's vitamins which are used to support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- vitamin drops for babies and young children - these are suitable from birth to four years old
You can pick up your Healthy Start vitamins at the following children and family hubs and local libraries listed below:
Children and family hubs
- Briercliffe children and family hub, Scarborough
- Colburn children and family hub, Colburn
- Selby North children and family hub, Selby
- Skipton children and family hub, Skipton
- Whitby children and family hub, Whitby
- Atmosphere children and families hub, Pickering
- Norton children and families hub, Malton
- Bilton children and families hub, Harrogate
- Knaresborough children and families hub, Knaresborough
These hubs are open Monday to Thursday from 8.30am to 5pm, and Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm. For further information and contact details please visit our Children and family hubs page.
Vitamins can also be bought at the hubs for cost price by families that do not qualify for the Healthy Start Scheme. Women's vitamins cost £1 and children's drops cost £1.50. Cash payments only.
Upfront social supermarket, Northallerton (Hambleton Community Action Facebook page)
How to apply
If you are eligible, you can apply for Healthy Start on the NHS website.