There are restrictions on the type of vehicles allowed to use or deliver waste to our household waste recycling centres.
Vehicles which are not allowed to use our sites
Vehicles above 3.5 tonnes gross weight (including horseboxes) and any agricultural vehicles are not allowed to use household waste recycling centres.
Vehicles which need to register
Residents using a commercial or commercial-like vehicle to deliver household waste e.g. any vehicle that appears to or could be used for a trade or business or commercial purpose such as a van, pickup, flat bed, land rover with a cargo area or similar vehicle will need to register.
If you need to register with us and are not displaying a vehicle pass you may be unable to use the sites or may be charged.
Once registered you will be issued with a household waste recycling centre resident pass to display in your vehicle windscreen. See our user guidance leaflet (pdf / 346 KB) for further details.
During registration you will be asked to prove that you live in North Yorkshire or York. There is a list of documents that we will accept for this if you live in a residential premise, however if you live in a commercial or no-residential premises you must upload a photo or scan of your council tax bill, dated within the current financial year, that shows your current address.
Vehicles which do not need to register
All residents using a car, estate car, people carrier, 4x4 or a camper van delivering household waste do not need to register to use our household waste recycling centres, providing the vehicle does not appear to be used for a trade, business or commercial purpose.
Vehicles delivering charity or voluntary group waste
Vehicles delivering waste from a charity, voluntary group, community group or religious premises need to be registered. Please register using our registration form for charities (pdf / 67 KB) (charities are currently unable to register online). Once registered you will be issued with a household waste recycling centre charity pass to display in your vehicle windscreen. Please read the user guidance leaflet (pdf / 346 KB) below for further details.
Vehicles delivering commercial waste
You do not need to register, but you will be charged to deliver waste. Please visit the commercial waste page for more information.
You will be unable to use Wombleton Household Waste Recycling Centre if you use a commercial or commercial-like vehicle that is larger than 4.9m long or 2.1m high, or if you intend to use a trailer of any size.
Vehicles using Stokesley Household Waste Recycling Centre
All residents using Stokesley Household Waste Recycling Centre need to register and display a valid permit to use the facility unless they are using a commercial or commercial like vehicle and have a commercial or commercial like vehicle pass.
Using a commercial or commercial like vehicle at our HWRCs
I understand that:
- the Council may contact me using the contact details I have used to register with to review the details held as part of its routine data protection checks and (re)registration processes;
- when the pass expires after two years I will need to re-register, otherwise I will be unable to use a HWRC using this vehicle;
- as the applicant I am responsible for the use of the vehicle when it is used to deliver waste to a HWRC and that the pass is not transferable between vehicles;
- I must inform you in writing of any changes to the information given and that failure to do so will invalidate my registration and will mean I am unable to use the HWRCs in this vehicle;
- proof of registration allows disposal of household waste. If the vehicle is used to dispose of hardcore and rubble, plasterboard, vehicle tyres or commercial waste, I will be charged;
- if I no longer use this vehicle to dispose of household waste at the HWRCs, I will return the pass to: Transport Waste and Countryside Services, Business and Environmental Services, North Yorkshire County Council, County Hall, Northallerton DL7 8AH;
- any abuse of the proof of registration will lead to it being withdrawn;
- it is an offence under section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act (1990) to deposit controlled waste, or knowingly cause or knowingly permit controlled waste to be deposited in or on any land unless a waste management licence (permit) authorising the deposit is in force and the deposit is in accordance with the licence (permit);
- if I transport commercial, charity or as a resident waste other than my own household waste, I am required to possess a Waste Carriers Licence available from the Environment Agency;
- it is an offence under section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act (1990) if I fail to furnish a controlled waste transfer note when transferring certain wastes; and
- I need to complete all sections of the registration form as the Council will be unable to complete the registration process if not all the required details are received.
- It’s easier online - contact us 24 hours a day from wherever is convenient for you using the device that suits you best.
- It’s cheaper online - it saves us valuable money which can be used on our frontline services.
- It’s faster online - you can contact us whenever you like without travelling or queuing time.
- It’s safe online - we will protect your data at all times.
To register you will need:
- details of your vehicle-registration number, make, model length height gross vehicle weight and which HWRC you are most likely to use; and
- proof of address, such as a current council tax bill or a utility bill dated within the last six months that show your name and North Yorkshire address.
If you are delivering your own household waste in your own commercial or commercial like vehicle, or a commercial or commercial like vehicle that you have permission and are insured to use for your own domestic purposes, you need to prove that you are a resident in North Yorkshire. You can do this by uploading a photo or scan of an official document with your name included that shows your current North Yorkshire address, such as:
- your driving licence;
- an NHS medical card or letter from your GP;
- an original mortgage statement or a council or housing association rent card;
- a bank/building society statement or utility bill, dated within the last three months; or
- a council tax bill or HMRC tax demand, dated within the current financial year.
If you live in a commercial or no-residential premises you must upload a photo or scan of your council tax bill, dated within the current financial year that shows your current address.
If you complete the registration form and provide appropriate supporting evidence we will send you a commercial or commercial like vehicle pass to display in your vehicle windscreen within ten working days. If you are required to register with us to use HWRCs and are not displaying a commercial or commercial like vehicle pass you may be unable to use the sites or may be charged.
Yes, everyone with a HWRC pass with a date that has expired or does not have a date needs to renew their registration online straight away. Our HWRC passes issued from August 2019 have a two year expiry date. We will contact you prior to this expiry date to remind you that you need to renew your registration to continue to use your vehicle at the HWRCs. This will also ensure we hold current information about you in line with data protection requirements.
Please let us know if you no longer use a vehicle you have registered with us by returning the commercial or commercial like vehicle pass to: Transport Waste and Countryside Services, Business and Environmental Services, North Yorkshire County Council, County Hall, Northallerton DL7 8AH.
To obtain temporary registration to use a hired or borrowed vehicle to deliver household waste you need to complete a household waste declaration form (available from the site office) and provide a copy of an official document, which identifies you as a resident of North Yorkshire. If the vehicle is hired you must also show a copy of the hire agreement including your address to site staff. All documents must contain the same address details.
If the vehicle is borrowed you should ensure you have permission and are insured to use the vehicle for your own domestic purposes.
You are allowed to use HWRCs to dispose of waste belonging to a neighbour, family member or friend who is a resident of North Yorkshire providing you do not advertise the service or receive payment in connection with the waste. You must complete a household waste declaration form (available from the site office).
You need to ensure the vehicle is registered with us and displaying a HWRC pass if you are using a commercial or commercial like vehicle.
Applying online can be done quickly and easily and you can upload your evidence.
If you aren't confident applying online, our web chat service is available during office hours or you can phone us for help and guidance about how to apply online. Applications cannot be made by phone or web chat.
Access to a computer and scanner for uploading supporting evidence is available at all local libraries. Please phone the library before you visit as you may need to go on a specific day or time.
Assistance to complete your online application is available at the following libraries.
Please remember to take your supporting evidence with you.
The information we require is your full name, address including postcode, email address, phone number, vehicle registration number, make, model, length(M), height unladen(M) and gross vehicle weight(KG). As well as the HWRC you are most likely to use we also need the details and nature of any business or commercial activity carried out using this vehicle.