Offer a home to a Ukrainian
The government has launched ‘Homes for Ukraine’ and invited individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians forced to escape their homeland.
UK based sponsors will be asked to provide accommodation for at least six months. Ukrainian people arriving under the scheme will be able to live and work in the UK for up to three years and access healthcare, benefits, education, and English language tuition.
People and organisations who want to help are asked to register their interest on the government website.
Donate to help Ukraine
We encourage you to support the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) appeal. They are seeking cash because it a much more efficient, effective and quicker way to get help from the UK.
Information for sponsors
If you have been successful in your application to be a host sponsor and have been matched with a family from Ukraine, we will be informed by The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities via its online portal that it is sharing with local authorities.
Colleagues in your area and our Health and Adult Services / Children and Young People's services will be in contact with you in due course to arrange a visit to meet with your family and the family members from Ukraine that you are sponsoring.
The purpose of the visit will be to carry out accommodation and safeguarding checks. We will also provide information about accessing other support that will be available for the Ukrainians including making a claim for Universal Credit and other benefits, access to NHS services, and school places.
You will also be contacted separately by our Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to arrange for you and all members of your household who are aged over 16 to have a DBS check.
In the meantime if you require more information please contact us.
Read Top Trauma Tips for Hosts of Ukrainian Refugees (pdf / 5 MB) to help you create an environment that fosters a feeling of safety, independence and control for your host family.
Ukrainians arriving in the UK
The government has produced a welcome pack for Ukrainians arriving in the UK. It tells you about getting used to life in the UK, including how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, finding work, childcare and education services. You can also read the welcome pack in Ukrainian and read the welcome pack in Russian.
Read guidance about the Ukraine Family Scheme for family members of British nationals, UK settled persons and certain others to come to or stay in the UK.
Find out more about moving to the UK if you are Ukrainian.
Information relating to North Yorkshire
Public transport and places to visit
- early years letter to parents in English
- early years letter to parents in Ukrainian
- early years letter to parents in Russian
- child information form for new early years setting in English (pdf / 392 KB)
- child information form for new early years setting in Ukrainian (pdf / 399 KB)
- child information form for new early years setting in Russian (pdf / 398 KB)
Housing and homelessness
For information on housing and homelessness in North Yorkshire visit our housing and homelessness page.
Our coordinators work with people in need to reduce loneliness and isolation, increase participation and support you to be independent.
Find out about Living Well in North Yorkshire.
Other useful information and support
- British Red Cross information for Ukrainians arriving in the UK, including the family migration visa and the Ukrainian family scheme (advice leaflets available in English, Ukrainian and Russian under their downloads section)
- City of Sanctuary UK
- RESET Homes for Ukraine matching portal
- NACCOM The No Accommodation Network
Resources for children
- Children in Need's website has useful resources and a list of organisations that can help with talking to children about Ukraine and Russia
- the twinkl website has a number of Ukrainian dual language resources for primary school aged children
- links to Ukrainian textbooks and schooling
- links to educational resources for Ukrainian children
- Ukrainian language resources for children
The following banks have stated on their websites that they will assist Ukrainians with opening bank accounts in the UK:
- Royal Bank of Scotland
There are also numerous online banking providers who offer easy to set up accounts.
Vaccination resources including migrant catchup and routine immunisation
- migrant health guide
- new to the UK vaccination leaflet for migrants - includes details about registering with a GP to receive vaccinations, and how to use health services
- MMR for all leaflet - measles, mumps and rubella - download only
- TB, BCG and your baby leaflet in English
- TB, BCG and your baby leaflet in Ukrainian - download only