Contact us

You can contact us by email, phone or post to make a general enquiry or to submit a compliment, comment or complaint.

Find contact details for our services including phone numbers, email, postal addresses and online

Contact us

Contacting us in an emergency

If you are contacting us about something that is causing an immediate danger to someone's safety, it is classed as an emergency.

You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency on 0300 131 2 131, rather than using our online form.

Our opening hours are Monday and Tuesday 9am to 5pm; Wednesday 9.30am to 5pm; Thursday 9am to 5pm and Friday 9am to 4.30pm.

Contacting us outside of normal office hours

We offer the following emergency services outside of normal office hours which you can use by calling us on 0300 131 2 131.

Social care

For urgent social care issues that cannot wait until the next working day and the situation requires an emergency response you can contact our emergency duty team. We provide a contact point for advice and, where necessary, immediate service to individuals and families who are experiencing crisis in their lives.

This may include, but is not limited to:

  • a child or young person who is at immediate risk of harm
  • a child protection investigation is needed because of physical, sexual or emotional abuse or neglect
  • a child or young person needs immediate mental health support
  • a vulnerable adult is at risk of neglect or abuse and requires immediate safeguarding
  • the care provision for a vulnerable adult has broken down
  • an adult is in need of a mental health act assessment


If you find yourself homeless tonight or you are concerned about a rough sleeper you can contact a housing officer in your area.


The registrars out of hours service is available for the following purposes:

  • to inform our registration service about an emergency connected to a ceremony due to take place within the next 24 hours
  • to request a deathbed marriage or civil partnership ceremony
  • to inform us about a burial required within 24 hours

Trading Standards

Our Trading Standards out of hours service is available to report an illegal importation of animals. If you suspect an animal has a notifiable disease please contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency on 03000 200 301.


To report a highway emergency please contact 101 and speak to North Yorkshire Police. Highway emergencies include:

  • any highway hazards such as flooding, mud or diesel spillages, carriageway debris, fallen trees
  • any road or footway defects which may be a danger to highway users

You can report a non-emergency highway issue on our potholes and road condition issues page.