Access your social care records

We ask you for personal information so that we can make sure we offer you the care, protection and support you need.

Why we need to share and keep information about you

Sometimes we need to share your information with other people, to make sure we provide effective care for you. These people could be a doctor, nurse or your carers.

We will only do this with your consent unless we have a duty to do so to protect you, prevent harm to someone else or prevent or detect a crime.

You do not have to consent to sharing your information with other people. but this may make it difficult to provide the services you need.

If you do give us your consent, you can withdraw it at any time.

You can tell us if there is anyone you do not want us to share your information with.

We can give you a copy of your care plan, your assessment and other documents we may have about you.

What your records contain

Your social care records contain:

  • contact details, like your name and address
  • details about each time you contact us and why
  • details about you and your family and any difficulties you may have
  • names of people involved with your care
  • details about what we asked you and talked about
  • decisions and agreements made about your care

Who can see your records

Only you, people helping you and those authorised in special circumstances can see your records.

Asking to see your records

If you use adult social care services, you have the right to see your personal records. Accessing your records is free.

You can request a copy of the information we hold about you.

You can also make a verbal request or in writing to our data protection officer.

We will make an appointment for you to view your records. A member of staff will be there to explain things and answer questions.

There may be information which is exempt from disclosure - we will tell you if there is any in your record.

You can tell us if there is anything in your records that you are not happy with, or that is wrong. We may decide to change it. You can have a free copy of the changes to any part of your records.

Appealing against a refusal to see your records

You can complain and ask for a review if we decide to keep any personal information from you. You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner or to the Courts.

Children's social care records

By law, children and adults have the right to access their social care services records. This includes children who have spent time in care or were accommodated.

Use of your NHS number in adult social care

If you are receiving support from adult social care then the NHS may share your NHS number with us.

We use your NHS number in an integrated care record system across different support services, including:

  • doctors
  • hospitals
  • community matrons
  • district nurses
  • social care workers

This helps us to identify you when giving care and to work together to improve your care and support.

To object to the use of your NHS number for social care purposes, please talk with your social worker or contact us.

Further details about how we hold information

Find out how we manage personal and non-personal information in our freedom of information section

The social care record guarantee

The guarantee is a commitment that we use your records in ways that:

  • respect your rights
  • promote your health and wellbeing

Find out about health care data on the National Information Board website.