When you receive a diagnosis of dementia it can be a very difficult time. You are likely to have a mixture of emotions and have many questions. It is important to know where to turn for practical and emotional support.
We can help by giving you:
- a person to talk to who understands your condition
- answers to questions you may have about your diagnosis
- a trained support worker to provide you and your family with advice and information
- access to services to help you look after yourself
- support and help to plan for your future
Dementia support service
Dementia Forward is a North Yorkshire charity providing support and information on dementia. They give support and services to any North Yorkshire resident.
You can contact Dementia Forward if you:
- have received a dementia diagnosis
- have concerns about your memory
- support someone with memory problems
- work in dementia care
- want to find out more about dementia
Call Dementia Forward on 03300 578592
Find out more about dementia on the Dementia Forward website.
Adult social care
You can find more about our social care offer here.
This will give you advice on:
- finding appropriate help and support
- what to do next
Support for your carers and family
Our carers section gives information and support to people who are looking after you.
Use our online carers assessment tool to find the help you may need.
We can also help you find local support groups and other advice.
Looking after yourself
During this time you will be learning how to live well with your dementia and to focus on the things you can do and enjoy.
This could include:
- staying socially active
- eating a balanced diet
- taking regular exercise
- talking to people about your diagnosis
There is plenty of advice in our staying healthy website section.
See the following web pages for more information on memory problems and dementia:
- Age UK - dementia
- Alzheimer's Disease International
- Alzheimer's Research UK
- Carers UK
- City of York Council - support for people with dementia
- Dementia Forward
- Dementia Friends
- Dementia Action Alliance
- Dementia UK
- Dementia Engagement and Empowerment Project
- Join dementia research
- North Yorkshire partnerships - dementia
- Prime Minister's challenge on dementia 2020
- Alzheimer's Society
- Young Dementia
Support at your local library
Our libraries provide:
- access to health information
- dementia friendly spaces
- staff trained in dementia awareness
- events for people with dementia
We run a regular sporting memories session at Northallerton library. We also work with other groups to run memory cafes across North Yorkshire.
We loan out reminiscence collections to carers and dementia support groups.