Local Housing Allowance

If you are renting your home from a private landlord, your Housing Benefit will usually be worked out using the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) scheme.

Local Housing Allowance is to help with the cost of rent and affects private tenants who:

  • move into private rented accommodation on or after 7 April 2008
  • make a new claim for Housing Benefit on or after 7 April 2008
  • have a break of at least a week, in Housing Benefit

You will not be affected by the change if you are:

  • a tenant of a Housing Association
  • a tenant whose tenancy commenced before 15 January 1989
  • someone who lives in a hostel
  • someone who lives in a caravan, houseboat or mobile home
  • someone whose claim has a substantial part of the rent go towards board and attendance
  • a tenant of supported housing provided by certain local authorities, social landlords, charities and voluntary organisations

Your benefit is worked out using the Local Housing Allowance rate that fits your specific household circumstances. The rates are affected by the number of people living in your property. A change in circumstances may affect the Local Housing Allowance rate that applies to your claim, so it is important you tell us of any changes.

If you are aged under 35, are single and do not live with any dependants, you can only get the Local Housing Allowance shared room rate, no matter the size of the property. If you are severely disabled, or are under 25 and are a care leaver, the one-bedroom Local Housing Allowance rate will apply to your claim regardless of the type of accommodation you rent.

How is Local Housing Allowance worked out?

The amount that you are entitled to depends on:

  • the area you live in
  • who lives with you
  • the number of bedrooms you and your family need
  • any savings or money you may have coming in

You can use the online benefit calculator on the entitledto website to work our your entitlement.