Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income, out of work or cannot work.

Universal Credit is a benefit scheme that replaced six existing benefits with a single monthly payment.

You need to claim Universal Credit on the government website

In exceptional circumstances, alternative payment arrangements can be made. This will be discussed when you make your claim but it is conditional on you engaging with the personal budgeting support service.

Citizens Advice can provide additional help with online access and support to make your claim for Universal Credit. You can contact Citizens Advice using their website.

If you are receiving the housing element of Universal Credit but still have a shortfall in paying rent, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Apply for Universal Credit

Claim Universal Credit on the government website

You need to create an account. You use it to make a claim. You must complete your claim within 28 days of creating your account or you will have to start again.

If you live with your partner, you will both need to create accounts. You will link them together when you claim. You cannot claim by yourself.

If you cannot claim online, you can claim by phone through the Universal Credit helpline 0800 328 5644.