There are lots of ways you can get rid of large furniture items that you no longer want. You can reduce the amount of waste going for disposal and support local charities and reuse organisations.
Before you book a collection, why not try to:
- donate unwanted items to local charities and reuse organisations (pdf / 610 KB)
- give them away for free (on sites such as Freecycle or Freegle)
You can dispose of bulky items at a Household Waste Recycling Centre, free of charge.
Asking someone to take your items away
Your waste is your responsibility. If you pay someone to get rid of it for you, you must make sure they're a licensed waste carrier.
You can check online at the Environment Agency website to find a licensed waste carrier.
Booking a bulky waste collection
You can book a bulky waste collection for large household items too big to be taken away in your normal bin collections.
We offer a bulky waste collection service in most parts of North Yorkshire. We charge for this service.
What we can collect
Bulky waste can include:
- household furniture such as three-piece suites, sofas, beds, and tables
- washing machines
- tumble dryers
- other furniture or electrical items that won't fit in your wheeled bin
What we cannot collect
We cannot collect:
- asbestos - find advice about dealing with asbestos in our health and safety section
- chemicals and other hazardous waste
- builder's waste, soil, garden waste, or rubble
- car parts including tyres
These are not complete lists. If in doubt, we can give you more information on what can or cannot be collected when you make your booking.
Where you live affects how you book and pay for our bulky waste service and what items can be collected.
Terms and conditions
- we will only collect items you have told us about at the time of booking
- we generally only collect items from outside your property. They must not be stored in a garage, shed, or other out-building, or be obstructed by vehicles or other barriers. They must be easily accessible for collection. Please tell us where the items will be left at the time of booking
- we will inform you of the day your items will be collected (this is usually within three weeks of your booking being made)
- collections can start from 6am
Requesting a refund for a bulky item collection
We'll refund your bulky waste payment if your collection date is in:
- the future provided we have more than 48 hours notice
- the past and we were unable to collect your items due to operational issues, or we've rescheduled your collection to a date which isn't acceptable to you
We'll refund you using the original payment method you made the booking with.
We can't offer a refund if we attempted to collect your items and couldn't because of:
- locked gates
- blocked access
- loose dogs
- items being too heavy
- item description at the time of booking didn't match the item left out for collection
- items being removed by a third party
If you have any concerns about these, please check with us during booking.