During an appointment to register a death, the registrar will explain the service so you can use it after the death is registered. This service is optional and is free.
The registrar will take the information needed from you to produce a ‘Capture letter’ with a unique reference number for the Tell Us Once Service. You will then be able to contact Tell Us Once online or by phone to provide all the details for the relevant departments and services.
You can also use this service if the coroner has given you a coroner’s certificate of the fact of death, otherwise known as an interim death certificate.
Information you will need
You will need to know the following information about the person who has died:
- their national insurance number and date of birth
- details of benefits or services they were receiving
- their driving licence or driving licence number
- their passport or passport number
- their vehicle registration number
- their next of kin
- any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
- the person dealing with their estate