Breastfeeding is a great way to get your baby off to the best start. Find out about the benefits and the local support available.
- Breast milk is the best food your baby can have. It's tailor-made for your baby and gives them all the nutrients they need in their first six months.
- Breast milk boosts your baby's ability to fight illness and infection.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer, and burns about 500 calories a day.
- Breastfeeding is a great way to strengthen the bond between you and your baby.
Local services and support
You can find information on the breastfeeding support groups in your area on the breastfeeding support map.
We provide breastfeeding support groups to families across the county. The groups offer a welcoming environment for new and expectant mums to meet other breastfeeding mums and form a social network, and help with breastfeeding issues.
Midwives, health visitors and children's centre staff have been trained and are available to offer support and information to families across North Yorkshire. If you require support and information about any aspect of feeding your baby please speak to your midwife during pregnancy or in the early days after your baby is born, or ask your health visitor who will be happy to help.
Breastfeeding friendly venues award
Breastfeeding is great value for mums, babies and the environment, but many women feel nervous about breastfeeding out and about, and this can mean they choose not to breastfeed or that they stop breastfeeding before they want to.
The breastfeeding friendly venues award has been developed to help identify public places in North Yorkshire that offer a good level of facilities and welcome breastfeeding mothers.
A pilot award scheme was launched in the Selby area in January. Once this scheme proves successful it will be rolled out across the rest of the county in Autumn 2018.
Other useful breastfeeding information
- National Breastfeeding Helpline - 0300 100 0212
- NCT helpline - 0300 330 0700
- La Leche League helpline - 0845 120 2918
- The Breastfeeding Network (BfN) helplines:
- The Association of Breastfeeding Mothers - 0300 330 5453
If you have specific questions about medications or treatments, please message the Drugs in Breastmilk information service facebook page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through the Baby Friendly Initiative Accreditation, local services are demonstrating a commitment to promoting and supporting breastfeeding and strengthening mother-baby and family relationships, which is important for all babies, not only those who are breastfed.
Along with the Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, we achieved joint Stage 1 UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative Accreditation for our 0-5 health visiting service and 0-19 prevention service (children's centres) in April 2016. We are continuing to work together to achieve Stage 2 Accreditation.