Feed hygiene

By law, feed businesses must have a system in place to ensure feed is safe for the animals and the food chain and to be registered or approved by their local authority.

Who is covered?

Virtually all feed businesses that make, import, market, transport or use animal feed are covered. This includes livestock farms processing or storing feed for animals on their own holding, and farmers growing arable crops for use in feed.

Approval requires a prior inspection visit by us and generally applies to those businesses carrying out certain higher risk activities, such as the manufacture and marketing of certain feed additives or premixtures.

Registration simply involves the placing of premises on a list with follow-up checks. The vast majority of feed businesses (including most farms and smallholders) are required to be registered.

How do I apply for registration or approval?

Simply contact us to request a registration pack. Once we have your completed form, we will issue you with your unique registration number. Please retain this in your farm records, if you're a member of an assurance scheme you may be asked for it at your next inspection.

Further information

You can find out more about feed hygiene requirements here, including the activity codes and a description of them, links to the legislation and detailed guidance.