SEND annual reviews at transition points

Find out about annual reviews at year 5 and year 9.

Transitioning from primary to secondary school (year 5)

If your child has an education, health and care plan (EHCP), the annual review meeting in Year 5 is a good time to talk about plans for moving to secondary school and to discuss transport arrangements.

In October of year 6, you will need to decide which secondary or special school you would prefer your child to go to.

Your SEND casework officer should then send you the finalised education, health and care plan (EHCP) by 15 February to name their year seven placement.

Leaving school and the transitional annual review (year 9)

It is particularly important to prepare your child for their move to adult life

The transitional annual review may involve people and organisations who will play a major role when your child leaves school. Preparation for adulthood discussions will start by Year 7 at the latest.

When your child is in Year 9 a transition plan will be drawn up, as part of the annual review, to look at your child's needs as adult life approaches. It is updated at each annual review meeting until your child leaves school.

For young people transitioning from secondary school to post-16, your SEND casework officer should have sent you the finalised education, health and care plan (EHCP) by 31 March to name their post-16 placement.

Creating a transition plan

The school will provide information about learning programmes.

You and your family will give your views on what you would like for your child after they leave school and what support you may need.

Your child will be able to say what they feel their needs are and what they would like to do after leaving school.

The local authority, along with the school and other professionals, will be responsible for making sure that the transition plan is carried out.

Children and young people's services will be involved when a young person is in public care or is a 'child in need', or where they are already involved with a young person. Social care staff will advise whether your child will need social care services when they leave school.

Other professionals actively involved in supporting your child may be involved in the transition plan. There may be other planning meetings to oversee progress of the plan and you should be told about these by school staff.