Complain to the Department for Education about a SEND issue

The Department for Education looks at complaints about maintained schools, academies or free schools.

The Department for Education will look at a complaint about a maintained school, academy or free school from anyone who is unhappy with the way in which a school or educational establishment is acting.

For the Department for Education to intervene in a school or educational establishment following a complaint, they need to be sure the school or educational establishment has either:

  • acted or is proposing to act unreasonably in the exercise or performance of its functions under certain legislation
  • failed to discharge a duty at all under certain legislation

You can complain to the Department for Education online.