SEND financial support

Find out about personal budgets, direct payments, benefits, grants and financial support for SEND.

Personal budgets

Personal budgets are intended to help children and young people with SEND and their families to have more choice, flexibility and control over the services they receive. The personal budgets help to meet needs as set out in their education, health and care plan (EHCP), and help children and young people achieve the outcomes agreed in their plans.

For education, you do not have to have a personal budget if you do not want one.

Direct payments

One way of managing a personal budget is by a direct payment. This is where all or part of the personal budget is paid as a cash sum for services to be arranged and managed by the child's family or young person.

In North Yorkshire, you will be offered support from the direct payment support service if you choose to have a direct payment. The service can help you with:

  • getting started with direct payments
  • finance and record keeping
  • recruiting staff or using an agency

Read about personal budgets and direct payments.


Benefits calculator

It's important to make sure that you get all the help that you're entitled to. You can use an independent benefits calculator to find out what benefits you might qualify for and an estimate of how much you may be entitled to.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability living allowance may help with the extra costs of looking after a child under 16.

Turn2us grant finder

Use the turn2us grant finder tool to help you find out if you are entitled to financial help via welfare benefits and grants.

Family Fund

Family Fund is the UK’s largest charity providing grants for families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people. Visit the Family Fund website to learn more.


Shine provides specialist support from before birth and throughout the life of anyone living with spina bifida and or hydrocephalus, as well as to parents, families, carers and professional care staff. The website includes information about help available to make understanding your money and rights to benefits a little easier.

North Yorkshire Local Assistance Fund (NYLAF)

The Local Assistance Fund provides support for vulnerable adults to move into or remain in the community, and to help families under exceptional pressure to stay together.

Carer's Allowance

You could be entitled to financial help if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they receive certain benefits. Check if you can receive carer's allowance.

Student financial support

Information about the financial support available to young people to help them take part in education and training.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can help you with the information you need to make the right choices, including help if you have any money problems such as budgeting, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape.

Information on benefits and tax credits from Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice debt advice