The Station Gateway Phase 1A – Public Realm consists of a 14,970 sqm of new and enhanced public realm and highway improvement outside Scarborough Station to create a welcoming arrival and civic space as well as supporting the town’s climate and environmental objectives.
Phase 1A – Public Realm includes the following elements:
- new plaza of 1,700 sqm with planting, seating and York stone paving outside Scarborough Station
- new pedestrian crossings, new traffic signals, removal of traffic islands and hatchings, decluttering on Westborough / Valley Bridge Road junction
- allowance for change in levels including ramped access on Valley Bridge steps, with alteration of the existing wall
- tree planting and footpath resurfacing on Valley Bridge Road
- highway lane narrowing, traffic calming, wider footpath, table crossing, and seating on Westborough Road
- three rain gardens (one directly in front of the station, one along Westborough on the east side of Valley Bridge Road (starting in front of the new entrance to Pavilion House) and one to the rear of the station between the Transport Hub and Comet Building)
Phase 1A – Public Realm forms part of a wider vision for the revitalisation of Scarborough. This initial phase, to be funded through the Towns Fund monies allocation of £6.68m will act as a catalyst for regeneration of the Station Gateway area through the attraction of additional public and private investment.