Single occupancy discount review

We are reviewing the circumstances of people claiming the single occupancy council tax discount to check people are still eligible.

Applying for single occupancy discount

You can apply for single occupancy discount on our council tax discounts page.

This page is for reviewing the circumstances of people who already claim single occupancy discount. 

If you have received a letter from us, or from the former district and borough councils, we need you to confirm your current details. Use the form below depending on where you live. You will need to enter the unique PIN number from your letter when completing the form.

Single occupancy discount review in Craven

​ Single occupancy discount review in Hambleton

Single occupancy discount review in Harrogate

Single occupancy discount review in Richmondshire

Single occupancy discount review in Ryedale

Single occupancy discount review in Scarborough

Single occupancy discount review in Selby

About the single occupancy discount review

While we are aware that most residents are claiming the discount appropriately, there are a minority who are attempting to defraud the system.

These residents may not have reported a change in their circumstances and are receiving the discount when they are no longer entitled to it. The single occupancy discount review is a scheme used to detect those who are claiming a discount that they are no longer eligible for.

We are dedicated to protecting the public purse and detecting fraud. We take council tax fraud very seriously and are proactive in confirming all entitlements to discounts.

Checks will be made to ensure everyone who claims the discount is genuine. Occasionally, however, circumstances may not be so easy to explain. To help in these situations we have included the most frequently asked questions that can arise throughout this review period below. 

Frequently asked questions about the single occupancy discount review

Why have I been sent this letter?

We are currently reviewing the circumstances of all people who are claiming the single occupancy discount. We are simply verifying your validity to claim single occupancy discount.

How do I complete the form?

Please fill out the form online using the links above and enter your PIN number, account number and postcode provided on the letter.

Alternatively, if you are the only adult occupant of your property, then simply tick the second box in section A, sign and date the form and return. If someone is due to turn 18 years old in your household within the next 12 months please complete section D of the form. 

If there is more than one adult living at the property, then please provide their name, date of birth and the date they moved into the property, in section A. If they are exempt from paying council tax, please provide the reason why. See section C. Sign and date at the bottom once completed and return to the address at the bottom of the letter.

What happens if I don't complete the form?

We will assume that your situation has changed and will remove your discount, effective from the last time we checked your eligibility which will be confirmed in your new bill.

What credit information do you hold on me?

We don’t hold any credit information on you. If you want to see your credit file please contact any of the major credit reference agencies:

What happens if the form is returned after the 14 day deadline given?

As long as the completed form is returned within a reasonable amount of time you will not be penalised. If the form is very late, you may end up receiving a reminder letter.

Why am I being asked to return my information to a Nottingham address?

All returned forms are handled by a centrally based local government scanning facility. They then process the documents on behalf of many local authorities.

What should I do if someone is using my address for correspondence only?

Include their name and full residential address in section B, this will then be verified.

I have already informed the council of a change in circumstances. Do I need to complete the form?

Yes, please include all the details of your current situation.

I receive mail for previous occupants, what should I do about this?

You need to write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender.

A friend stays with me three or four nights a week. Does this mean that I am no longer eligible?

If your friend keeps their belongings at your house then your address will be classed as their main residence therefore you are no longer eligible.

Who does your friend stay with the other three nights a week? If they stay at various addresses, your address will still be classed as their main address. 

For any other reason, please provide an explanation of your current situation.

What should I do if my circumstances are not covered in the examples above?

If you are still unsure how to complete the form, or your circumstances are not covered please fill out the online form for your area above and select the fourth option: Other (My circumstances are not covered by the categories above), and write an explanation of your current situation.