Private sector housing complaints in the Ryedale area

Find advice about who to contact and what steps you should take to make a complaint about your private landlord or agent.

Your landlord, or agent, has a legal responsibility to manage your tenancy fairly. 

They must also keep your home in good condition. When you are renting privately, you have responsibilities and rights too.

Problems with your landlord can be upsetting and stressful, but there is lots of support and advice to help you. 

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint:

  • you must get in touch with them first
  • always get in touch by letter and make sure you keep a copy
  • write to your landlord again after two weeks, if they have not responded

If your problem is with your agent, you can contact their Redress Scheme for free. Every letting agent is a member of a redress scheme and their job is to help you settle disputes. Find out more at the property redress scheme website.


You can find advice on the Shelter website about the following problems:

You can find advice on the Government website if your landlord is not meeting safety standards

Urgent advice

If you feel you are in immediate danger, or you are worried about your health or security, contact Citizens Advice through their website.