Renting a home in the private sector in the Ryedale area

Find out about tenancies, deposits, financial help and where to find a private rented property.

If you are looking for a private rented property in Ryedale, there is a lot of help and advice available. 

Private rental might be a good option for you because:

  • you can choose the location 
  • you can choose the type of property
  • you can move in quite quickly if the landlord agrees

How we can help

Our housing options team may be able to help you find a private rented home. Contact us to book an appointment. 

To save time, you can fill in this housing advice form before your appointment. Contact us for a form.

For advice on how to find a private rental home, visit the Government website.

If you have a disability

If you have a disability, The Equality and Human Rights Commission has helpful information about your rights when you rent from a private landlord. Find out more on the Equality and Human Rights Commission website.

Frequently asked questions

How do I find a property to rent?

It is usually more expensive to rent in the private sector but you may be able to get help. Our housing options team can help you to work out what you can afford. 

You may be able to get help with legal fees, rent in advance and deposits, depending on your situation
You may be able to claim Housing Benefit and council tax relief to help you with the cost of renting your home.

What other help is there?

Our housing options team is here to help you with any advice about housing. We are here every week day. Contact us to book an appointment. 

Depending on your situation, you may also be able to get help through:

  • landlord incentives
  • tenant incentives
  • bond guarantee scheme and rent in advance scheme
  • bond payment scheme
  • fast-track Housing Benefit

Our housing team will let you know what help is available to you at your appointment.

What sort of tenancy will I have?

Your tenancy will be called an assured short hold tenancy and will last for 6-12 months. After this time, your tenancy would continue on a monthly basis, becoming a periodic tenancy. You will not need to sign any new documents. Your landlord must give you two months’ written notice if they want to end this sort of tenancy.

What is a bond or tenancy deposit?

Most landlords will ask you to pay a deposit or bond before you move in.

Your landlords must pay this into a tenancy deposit scheme and give you full details within 28 days of the start of the tenancy.

If they do not do this, you can take legal action and fine your landlord.

More detailed information about tenancy deposit schemes can be found on the Government website

What references will my landlord need?

Landlords ask for references to prove you are reliable and can afford the rent.

You might need to show your bank details or a letter from your employer to show you are employed.
Sometimes landlords ask for a character reference or references from former landlords. If this is your first time renting, they might be happy with a reference from a parent or guardian.

Why do some landlords carry out credit checks?

Landlords need to make sure you can pay your rent. Credit checks show them if you have any unpaid debts or county court judgements. You may be charged for the check to be done. This fee will not be returned.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who agrees to pay the rent if you cannot.

It is more common for young people, the unemployed or someone with a poor credit history. 

Sometimes your guarantor will also need a credit check to make sure they can afford to pay the rent if you are unable to. You may be charged a fee for the credit check

What is a property inventory?

It is a list of everything that your landlord has provided with the property you are renting. It includes furniture, carpets, curtains, appliances and kitchenware. It should also state the condition everything is in – particularly anything that was already damaged, marked or worn before you moved in. It is a good idea to take photographs to help prove what was inside the property when you moved in. Most estate agents will provide an inventory when you move in and will check it with you.

What happens if my property isn't fit to live in?

All private rented homes should be safe and healthy to live in. It is our job to make sure privately rented homes do not have problems like:

  • penetrating damp: leaking gutters or roof, very poor pointing
  • rising damp
  • leaking roof
  • electrical faults
  • poor heating

If you think you have any of these problems and your landlord is not doing anything about it, report the issue to us. Contact us .

We have also made a short animated video about damp, mould and condensation which you can watch here:

What should I do if I want to move out and end the tenancy?

As a tenant, you and your landlord have certain rights.  This means you cannot just leave the property without giving proper notice.

Contact us for advice about ending a tenancy. 

Visit the Government website for more information about what to do at the end of a tenancy