Housing advice for young people

If you are aged 16 to 25, you can get support and advice about housing at our special Hub for young people. Find out about benefits, how to find accommodation and what to do if you are at risk of becoming homeless.

We offer:

  • general housing advice and support around issues like benefits and managing a tenancy
  • support and help to stay in your own home where it is safe and appropriate to do so
  • a range of accommodation and support services because we know staying at home isn't always suitable or possible

Staff in the Hub will:

  • talk you through everything and make sure you have a clear understanding of your options so you can make an informed choice
  • answer any questions you have
  • take into account your wishes and feelings
  • provide you with a support worked who will help you through the entire process

Your parents are responsible for you until you are 18.  That means we will have to contact them. If you are homeless and don’t have a good relationship with your parents, we can help you with mediation to try and solve these problems, even if only in the short term.

Owing to the lack of affordable accommodation in the area, many people feel they have no choice but to declare friends or relatives homeless in the belief it will help them. But there's a severe lack of housing available and attempts to solve housing problems must be sought first.

We will always try to solve housing problems before declaring you as homeless.

Accommodation options

There are several options available.

Safe and Sound Homes 

We may refer young single homeless people to an organisation called Safe and Sound Homes, which provides a bed for the night with volunteers in their own homes, and also offers supported lodgings in the home of a carefully recruited host, for up to two years. The host and project workers support young people to develop their independence skills.

Could you become a host for Safe and Sound Homes? They are currently looking for hosts to help support young people. All hosts receive payment to cover the cost of hosting. You can find out more on the Safe and Sound Homes website.

Safe and Sound Homes also has supported lodgings in some areas for up to two years.


Foundation has a variety of accommodation, ranging from hostels in locations across North Yorkshire that are staffed 24 hours a day to independent accommodation. These locations include the Carriage Works in Skipton, Poplar Villa in Scarborough and Cygnet House in Selby among others. Foundation also supports people when they are released from prison. You can find out more on the Foundation website.

No Wrong Door

This service works with young people, mainly those aged 16 and 17, to develop strengths and reduce risks through getting access to the right services at the right time and in the right place.

Other accommodation options

In the Ryedale area

There is supported accommodation for up to 14 people at Derwent Lodge which is staffed 24 hours a day and is specifically for vulnerable people aged 16 and over.