Houses in multiple occupation in the Richmondshire area

A house in multiple occupation is a house where at least three people live who are not from one household live and share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants. View the register of properties that are licensed to operate as houses of multiple occupation in the Richmondshire area.

Do I need a licence?

Some types of houses in multiple occupation have increased safety risks because of their size and so they must be licensed. 

Your property needs a licence is all of the following apply:

  • it is at least three storeys high
  • at least five tenants live there, forming more than one household
  • tenants share facilities such as a toilet, bathroom or kitchen

These properties must also comply with our standards. You should contact us if you're a landlord or tenant of a large HMO and you don't think it's licensed.

A licence is needed for any house in multiple occupation occupied by five or more people in two or more households, where householders lack or share bathrooms, toilets and cooking facilities, which is:

  • a house converted entirely into bedsits or other non self-contained accommodation
  • a converted house containing one or more flats
  • a building which is converted entirely into self-contained flats, if the conversion did not meet the standards of the 1991 Building Regulations, and more than a third of the flats are let on short-term tenancies
  • a building subject to a ‘HMO Declaration’ under section 255, Housing Act 2004


The following conditions must also be met:

  • the floor area of any room used as sleeping accommodation by one person aged over 10 years is not less than 6.51 metres squared
  • the floor area of any room used as sleeping accommodation by two people aged over 10 years is not less than 10.22 metres squared
  • the floor area of any room used as sleeping accommodation by one person aged under 10 years is not less than 4.64 metres squared
  • any room in a house in multiple occupation with a floor area of less than 4.64 metres squared is not used as sleeping accommodation
  • landlords of licensed houses in multiple occupation comply with any relevant local authority waste scheme relating to the storage and disposal of household waste pending collection

Floor area with a ceiling height of less than 1.5 metres cannot be counted in any total floor area calculation. A room is used as sleeping accommodation if it is normally used as a bedroom, whether or not it is also used for other purposes.

Where a breach is found regarding room sizes, we can grant a period of up to 18 months to correct the situation.

House in multiple occupation conditions

You need to make sure that the property meets the Government's conditions for houses in multiple occupation. You can find the conditions on the Government website.

Landlord responsibility

Landlords have to provide additional fire safety provisions and maintain common parts, fixtures, fittings and appliances. Properties also have to be free from hazards under the housing health and safety scheme.

How much will it cost?

Property band Number of permitted occupants Cost
Band A 5 to 6 £818
Band B 7 to 9 £1,014
Band C 10 to 14 £1,110
Band D 15 or more £1,232

Other costs

Property licence holder application fee £42
Relicensing fee 50% of the application fee
Fee for the fit and proper person test (for the licence holder or manager) £42
Alterations to a licence Hourly rate to a maximum of £1,026
Copy of register £42
Housing Act Notices £711
Housing Act Notices paid within 30 days £491


Houses in multiple occupation register

Contact us for a copy of the register of properties licensed to operate as houses in multiple occupation in the Richmondshire area.