Houses in multiple occupation in Scarborough

A house in multiple occupation is a house where at least three people live who are not from one household live and share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants. View the register of properties that are licensed to operate as houses of multiple occupation in the Scarborough area.

Apply for a licence

Your application must include:

  • the licence fee payment
  • a copy of your gas safety certificate if you have a gas supply to your property
  • a copy of your electrical condition report
  • a copy of your annual fire detection test certificate
  • a copy of your annual fire risk assessment
  • a copy of the floor plan of the property

You will also need to make sure you have met the licensing conditions for room sizes, kitchens and bathrooms and fire safety standards.

Apply for a licence

Licence types

There are two licence types. Mandatory licensing which is statutory for certain houses in multiple occupation and selective licensing which is a discretionary licensing scheme we apply to all privately rented properties within a certain area.

Mandatory licensing

Mandatory licences apply to all houses in multiple occupation that are:

  1. A building in which two or more families or individuals share basic amenities.
  2. A converted building which contains one or more units of accommodation that are not self-contained. A self-contained unit is one which has inside it a kitchen (or cooking area), bathroom or toilet for the exclusive use of the household living in the unit. The unit is not self-contained if the occupiers need to leave the unit to access any of these amenities. (For example, the toilet, bathroom or any bedroom is located on a landing outside the main unit front entrance door)
  3. Buildings with five or more people living there and the five or more people make up more than one households (family units)

Purpose built blocks of flats of three or more self-contained flats are exempt if they meet these requirements:

  • the flat is within a purpose built building
  • the flat is within a block of flats
  • there are more than three flats in the purpose built block

Any other flat with five or more people requires a mandatory licence.

Licensing conditions

You must make sure that minimum bedroom sizes will be: 

  • 6.51 square metres for one person over ten years of age
  • 10.22 square metres for two persons over ten years of age
  • 4.64 square metres for one child under ten years of age

There should be suitable and sufficient provision for waste and recycling inside and outside.

You can find out more about the licensing conditions you must meet on the Government website.

Re-licensing a house in multiple occupation

A house in multiple occupation licence lasts for five years. If your property is still operating as a house in multiple occupation at the end of the five year period, then you will need to apply to have your property re-licensed.

Licence fees

Fees for the applications cover the cost of delivering the scheme and visiting properties to ensure conditions are being complied with. The fees have been calculated using an hourly rate of £45.

  • 5 occupants - £950
  • 6 occupants  - £1,050
  • 7 or more occupants - £1,150

Application refusal

We can refuse a licence application if we decide you are not a fit and proper person or if the property does not meet the licensing conditions. The application may also be refused if there is no reasonable prospect of an alternative licence holder being appointed, or of the property being brought up to the required standards within an acceptable time period. 


If your application is refused or you wish to appeal any conditions attached to a licence, any decision to vary or revoke a licence you can appeal to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of a decision being made. 

If you would like to appeal against a licence that has be granted you can do so to a residential property tribunal within 28 days of a decision being made.

You can find out how to appeal on the Government’s website about solving residential property disputes.

Temporary exemption notice

If you intend to stop the property operating as a house in multiple occupation, or reduce the number of occupants, and you can give clear evidence of this, then you can apply for a temporary exemption notice.

Failing to comply

It is an offence if the landlord or person in control of the property fails to apply for a licence for a licensable property, or allows a property to be occupied by more people than is permitted under the licence.

A fine of up to £20,000 may be imposed. In addition, breaking any of the licence conditions can result in fines of up to £5,000 for each offence.