Some utilities are dependent on others to work and an electricity network failure could affect a wide range of essential services. Even a local electricity outage could have a significant impact.
What could happen?
- People may lose power to heat their homes
- Disruption to essential services such as water supplies, transport, telecommunications, health care provision, the internet and schools
- Street light and security system failures
- Traffic light failures causing congestion
What can you do?
- Be prepared for an outage with an emergency kit in your home containing a wind-up torch and radio, supplies of tinned or dried food and drinking water
- If required, register as a vulnerable customer with relevant companies – call 0800 169 2996 to speak to Northern Powergrid Priority Services
- Stay alert for hoax callers posing as utility company workers
What are we doing
- Identifying vulnerable people who would require assistance in the event of an electric network failure
- Working with local electricity companies, emergency services, local authorities and other utility companies to minimise the impact
- Creating comprehensive plans to handle a complete national outage