Paper petitions submitted must include:
- a clear and concise statement about the subject of the petition
- a statement of what action the petitioners wish us to take
- the name and address (including postcode) and signature of any person supporting the petition
- contact details, including an address, for the petition organiser
- a fair processing notice as required by the data protection act legislation, explaining to people that the personal details they provide in connection with the petition will only be shared with the petition organiser and us; an example is suggested in the data protection section below
The contact details of the petition organiser will not be placed on the website. If the petition does not identify a petition organiser, we will contact signatories to the petition to agree who should act as the petition organiser.
If a petition does not follow the guidelines set out above, we may decide not to do anything further with it. In that case, we will write to the petition organiser to explain the reasons.
You can use our cover sheet and signature sheet documents as templates for your petition, if you wish. Contact us for copies of these documents.
Paper petitions of any size should be sent to:
Assistant chief executive (legal and democratic services)
North Yorkshire Council
Alternatively, scanned copies may be sent by email to: email@example.com