Register to vote

Information and guidance about registering to vote.

Voting is our democratic right and we want to make sure that everyone who is entitled to vote is able to vote.

To register to vote, you will need to:

  • go to the government website 
  • fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You will also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits. If you cannot find your national insurance number, visit the government website.
  • look out for a confirmation to say you are registered

If you are unable to complete the application online and need a paper form, contact us .

Register to vote

You can register to vote on the government website.

Register to vote

Students registering to vote

Students away at college or university can register at their permanent home address and their term-time address. Registering to vote at your term-time address means you can choose where you vote. Find out more about students registering to vote.

No fixed address

You can still register to vote if you have no fixed address. You will need something called a declaration of local connection to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. For more details, contact us .

Living or working overseas

If you are a British citizen or crown servant living abroad, you can register as an overseas elector. This allows you to vote in general elections. You cannot vote in local elections.

If you want to vote from overseas, you have two options:

  • vote by proxy
  • vote by post

Voting by proxy is where you appoint a person to cast your vote on your behalf.

We can send postal votes overseas. However, depending on where you live, it may take too long for your postal ballot to be sent back to us before it needs to be counted. If you think this applies to you, apply for a proxy vote instead.

Armed forces

People in the armed forces, and their spouses or civil partners, can register to vote as a service voter or an ordinary elector.

If you are based overseas or expect to be posted abroad in the next year, register as a service voter. This allows you to be registered at a fixed address in the UK even if you move around. A service voter registration also lasts for five years, so once you are registered, you should not have to worry about it while you are busy overseas.

Register to vote as a service voter

Register to vote if you are a member of the armed forces.

Register to vote in the armed forces

If you are based in the UK and unlikely to be posted overseas or move address in the next year, register to vote as an ordinary elector above.

Registered as an anonymous elector

If you are concerned about your personal safety and would be at risk if your details are included in the electoral register, you can apply to be registered as an anonymous elector. Your name and address will not be visible to anyone inspecting the register. You will need documentary evidence, like a court order or written support from a relevant organisation.

If you would like to be registered anonymously, contact us .

How to vote

Find out more about how to vote.