This Privacy Notice is designed to help you understand how and why we process your personal data in relation to Adult Weight Management. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
To tackle the rise in excess weight in the adult population of North Yorkshire Council (“the council”) has commissioned 6 service providers to deliver a tier two adult weight management service (“the adult weight management service”) in 7 district/borough council areas across North Yorkshire. Service providers are:
- healthy lifestyles service
- take that step
- Brimhams leisure ‘fit 4 life’
- Humber teaching NHS foundation trust ‘your health weight management service’
- choose to lose
- inspiring healthy lifestyles ‘move it lose it’
In line with evidence based practice, the adult weight management service will be delivered as:
- a free multicomponent, 12 week programme that includes weekly nutritional advice (including weekly weigh-in) and physical activity, underpinned by structured behaviour change strategies to achieve a 5% weight loss
- followed by a free 12 week maintenance programme for those adults who have achieved the 5% weight loss target.
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
- date of birth
- telephone number
- email address
- registered GP
- health information
- employment status
- referral source
- intervention details (height, weight, BMI, waist circumference)
- lifestyle questionnaires - (physical activity, wellbeing score, alcohol consumption, diet)
Why do we collect your personal information?
Your information is needed for the following reasons:
- to ensure the support offered to you by the programme is safe and appropriate for your needs
- to allow us to monitor and evaluate uptake and outcomes of the programme, in order to ensure the service is meeting the needs of the local community
- to contribute to research, national audits and minimum data sets, where required
Who do we share this information with?
The programme is commissioned by North Yorkshire Council, but delivered by six different service providers (see above). Individual participant information is accessible by each provider for their own participants.
North Yorkshire Council can view participant information for all providers.
How long do we keep your information for?
File of involvement with Adult Weight Management.
6 years after it was created.
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
With regard to personal data:
- article 6(1)(e) – Public task
With regard to special category data:
- article 9(2)(h) – Provision of health and social care Article 9(2)(i) - Processing is necessary for reasons of public interest in public health
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.