This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why North Yorkshire Council processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
North Yorkshire council are responsible for facilitating the billing and collection of council tax as well as facilitating the calculation and payment of benefit entitlements.
The council has appointed Veritau to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
In order to provide this service, the council will need to process certain categories of personal information:
- contact details
- date of birth
- national insurance number
- details about your family members or other household occupants
The council may, in certain circumstances, need to collect details about your finances such as salary, income, savings, and any existing benefits you may receive.
We may also need to process the following certain categories of special category information:
- details about your mental or physical health, if this will have an effect on your benefit entitlements
Why do we collect your personal information?
We will process the personal data outlined above, for the following purposes:
- billing and collection of council tax
- facilitating the calculation and payment of benefit entitlements
- collection of non-domestic business rates
- processing grant applications
Who do we obtain your information from?
During the course of providing this service, we may receive information from the following external agencies:
- department for work and pensions (DWP)
- HM revenue and customs (HMRC)
- other local authorities
Who do we share this information with?
Internally within the council, we may share information with the following service areas:
Externally to the council, we may share information with the following organisations:
- department for work and pensions
- other local authorities
- department for business, energy and industrial strategy
How long do we keep your information for?
Housing benefit data
Council tax support data
Scanned ID documents
Council tax records
The council keeps all information dating back to April 1993. So that when a property is re-banded we can work out all the people entitled to a refund, contact them and pay it back.
Non-domestic rates records
Current financial year + 10 Years
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
North Yorkshire council relies on the following lawful basis to process your personal data:
- UK GDPR Article 6 (1) (c) – processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject
- UK GDPR Article 6 (1) (e) – processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest
When processing special category information, the council will rely on the following lawful basis:
UK GDPR Article 9 (2) - processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest with processing meeting Schedule 1, Part 2 of the Data Protection Act (2018) as below:
- (6) Statutory and government purposes
- (16) Support for individuals with a particular disability or medical condition
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.