This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why North Yorkshire Council processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). Customer services deal with the enquiries and complaints submitted to the council to enable the provision of services to residents. We ensure that residents receive council services to which they are entitled. We offer support via telephone, email and face to face.
Customer services provide support with a wide range of key services offered by the council.
The council has appointed Veritau to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
The Customer Services team will collect the following categories of personal information:
- contact details (email address and telephone number)
- financial information e.g. receipt of benefits
- any information you provide us to facilitate the service such as specific details in relation to your enquiry. This information may be captured in recorded calls
We may also collect the following categories of special category information:
- Certain medical information where appropriate/relevant for service provision e.g. assisted bin collection
Why do we collect your personal information?
We will collect your personal data for the following purposes:
- service delivery
- service improvement and planning
Who do we obtain your information from?
We obtain your information directly from yourself (or a nominated representative) via the following methods:
- recordings of telephone discussions you have with customer services
- information you provide us on forms, in emails or via telephone discussions
- information you provide us in email correspondence regarding complaints, queries or issues you are experiencing
Who do we share this information with?
We may share your data with the relevant service(s) within the council to enable the provision of services to you and to resolve any issues or concerns you are experiencing.
How long do we keep your information for?
Customer service call recordings
Building visitor records
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
North Yorkshire Council relies on the following lawful basis to process your personal data:
- UK GDPR Article 6(1)(e) – processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest
When processing special category data, the council will rely on the following lawful basis:
UK GDPR Article 9(2)(g) – The processing of your special category data is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest (with a basis in law), meeting Schedule 1, Part 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018 as below:
- (16) Support for individuals with a particular disability or medical condition
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.