This privacy notice is designed to help you understand how and why the training and learning service processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with our corporate privacy notice.
Who are we?
North Yorkshire Council is a ‘data controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). The training and learning service is administered by the training and learning team in North Yorkshire Council. This is a service that is traded out to other organisations.
The council has appointed Veritau Ltd to be its data protection officer. Their contact details are:
Information Governance Office
Tel: 01904 552848
What personal information do we collect?
In order to provide the training and learning service the council will collect the following information about you:
Your employee number or external reference number for external users (system generated).
Your name, your gender, your organisation and sector, your email address (usually corporate), your contact number (usually corporate), and your work address.
Details about your employment post (i.e. grade and service area).
Data collected only for the context of your qualification or apprenticeship:
- date of birth
- unique learner number
- previous surname
- home address including postcode
- national insurance number
- emergency contact name
- emergency contact number
- previous study
- ethnic origin
- employment status
We may also need to know if you have a disability, any additional requirements, and any dietary requirements. This might include special category data such as details about your mental or physical health.
We will also collect details about key contacts in your organisation who can be contacted for administrative purposes (for instance, organisation and billing).
If you are an event trainer we will also hold the following information about you:
- name, company, and contact details
- trainer cost
- area the trainer covers
- trainer availability
- trainer specialism
Why do we collect your personal information?
Your personal information is collected:
To allow use of the learning zone for users to book onto learning events and to allow any applicable users to complete online learning courses. The collection of this data also allows the trainer to know who it is that is booked onto their course and informs training and learning of the uptake on training events. Data is also collected for use in reports enabling future decisions to be made regarding training events.
- to allow charges to be made to those external delegates who either
- do not turn up to a course
- cancel their place on a course within 7 days of it taking place
- access online learning for a fee
- to access classroom courses for a fee
- to contact learning zone users and key contacts for administrative purposes such as course bookings, cancellations, and training reminders
- any personal information gathered by ourselves will only be used in the context of your qualification or apprenticeship
Who do we share this information with?
We will keep your personal data confidential and will not sell or pass this on to any other organisation for marketing purposes. We may need to share details about you and your training progress to your current employer who has arranged the training.
The below is applicable to apprenticeships and qualifications only:
- as required by law to any third parties
- to selected parties who may process personal data jointly with us on your behalf
To city and guilds, NCFE, ACE and OneFile who may use your personal data or sensitive personal data as appropriate to :
- fulfil their contractual obligations to you (e.g. by providing you with a qualification certificate)
- carry out statistical analysis iii) Pass to their regulator or industry bodies for the following purposes
- to monitor equal opportunities relating to ethnicity or disability or for other such monitoring purposes
- to account for candidates where there is a requirement to do so
- where there is a requirement for such bodies to contact a candidate directly and the information is not readily accessible by other means
- disclose your personal details to third parties for the purposes of providing prizes, remuneration and qualifications for candidates
How long do we keep your information for?
NYC learning records and data
6 Years from when the employee leaves NYC.
External learning records and data
6 Years from when the person last logged into Learning Zone.
NYC apprenticeship and qualification records and data
6 Years from when the employee leaves NYC.
What is our lawful basis for processing your information?
The training and learning service process your personal data to fulfil obligations under employment contract (i.e. that your employer will provide you with adequate training). This might be a contract with NYC or an external organisation that buys in to the service.
Any special category information, i.e. disabilities and/or special requirements, are processed based on obligations under employment law (i.e. equal opportunities).
Fulfil their contractual obligations to you (e.g. by providing you with a qualification certificate).
For more information about how we use your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our corporate privacy notice.